info on Eye-biter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m013y

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im interested in buying an eye-biter. Only i dont know much about them and the name worries me slightly lol

Can anyone tell me anything?

they get to about 10inches and are rather aggressive (can be very aggressive, especially larger males).
what stocking and tank size do you have?

I dont know exactly how big it is but its massive. I could practicly get in it. I already have several malawi chiclids... all of a fair size.
There are 2 EB and only jouvies too young to sex.

Its abit late now but i could do. I just wanted to know abit bout them. Im not to worried about size. Theres plenty of space Its gotta b 5ft but its deep too.

Ok thnks... i was only buying two jouvie Ebs so hopefully they should b fine with the adults. THANKYU AGAIN

Are you talking about haplochromis comprecipps? They're mouth brooders.

It's called Dimidiochromis compressiceps
and they are fine with mbuna as long as the mbuna are large enough not to fit in their mouths.They are predators through and through and very quick.The chances of fry surviving in a tank with eye biters in is pretty much zero.10" is the maximum length.The trouble is that. A third of their 10" is all mouth.They are mouth brooders and can hold a large number of fry sometimes up to 150 at a time.They like tall plants to wait in ambush for prey.Generally they hang around the upper regions of the tank.
A very beautiful fish IMO and a great addition to a tank.Males are a beautiful metallic blue with orange dorsal and anal fins.Females are silver with a brown stripe laterally down the body.

Back
Top Bottom