Input on 29 Gallon with Bolivian Ram centerpeice! --My build thread--

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! The aim of this thread is to hopefully make sure i dont miss anything and discover some ideal ways to set up my 29 gallon (30x12x18") tank for the beautiful Bolivian Ram that i have chosen to base everything around. I will try to stick to this thread and bring it back up when i get to new points in the build. I tend to ramble and explain "too in-depth" sometimes, so feel free to skim through to the meat and potatoes of the post near the end :p

I am new to fishkeeping, but have been obsessing over the hobby and reasearching like crazy anything i can. Currently just finished the beginning cycle on my girlfriends tank (our first) and want to take on a slightly more in-depth tank for myself. The Bolivian Ram is my choice because i wanted something a bit more exotic than the basic community schooling fish, and it appears to be a little easier to manage than the usual chichlid and etc. The remainders in the tank i would like to be a school of 5-6 Fancy Guppies, perhaps a school of cories, and depending on stocking restraints maybe another school of smaller fish. I will be trying my hand at some lower light plants for now. Of course i will be working my way up slowly starting with some of my favoured male guppies that my girlfriend currently has in her tank, and the Ram will be added last and after i am sure the tank is established nicely and that i can keep the water perimeters where the Ram will do best.

-----------------------------------------

Now i currently sit with a freshly cleaned empty tank, and will be making a trip to the fish store when im back in town later this week to pick up what i still need to start things out. I need a larger filter than what came with, so i would ideally want one rated up to a 50-60 gallon tank? And I have read that sand would be an ideal substrate, especially if i get cories, so any suggestions on types? Ive heard pool filter sand gets used alot.

Im looking forward to making this tank the best possible habitat for those beautiful fins!

I would skip the guppies the Rams are fin nippers and guppies will wind up as food. Everything else sounds good. Maybe instead of guppies do pair of rams, school of corries and tetras or cherry barbs. I would do lemon tetras they are one of my favorites.

I like Bolivians but just had to separate mine. If you get 2, they might not hit it off...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would skip the guppies the Rams are fin nippers and guppies will wind up as food. Everything else sounds good. Maybe instead of guppies do pair of rams, school of corries and tetras or cherry barbs. I would do lemon tetras they are one of my favorites.

I had thought that origonally and im not attached to the guppies persay, just my girlfriend has some and they have some nice colours. But i had read everywhere that Bolivians were different that way where it wouldnt be an issue unless perhaps they were breeding. I had also spent a bit of time specifically googling other's experiences with Bolivians and guppies together and didnt hear any different. I of course could be wrong, and thats what this thread is about lol But maybe you are thinking of GBRs since they are almost identical and do tend to be more aggresive?

I like Bolivians but just had to separate mine. If you get 2, they might not hit it off...

Yeah that was going to be something i definately have to look into. Im not sure if i could get a bunch of them and wait for a pair to form and return them here. But i was going to try and get them as young as possible. Seems theres no real way to predict it :/

If you don't do a pair, threadfin rainbows would do nicely, and IMO rainbows have a lot of personality.

I had thought that origonally and im not attached to the guppies persay, just my girlfriend has some and they have some nice colours. But i had read everywhere that Bolivians were different that way where it wouldnt be an issue unless perhaps they were breeding. I had also spent a bit of time specifically googling other's experiences with Bolivians and guppies together and didnt hear any different. I of course could be wrong, and thats what this thread is about lol But maybe you are thinking of GBRs since they are almost identical and do tend to be more aggresive?

Honestly I haven't kept Bolivian Rams I keep German Rams. I was under the impression the temperament was the same. If your research shows different give it a try.

My Bolivian is a brute. He is super territorial and chases and nips at any fish that goes in his area -including my biggest clown loach who is waaaay larger than he is. Make sure you get fast fish and I agree guppies would be a poor choice. I would even possibly consider hatchet fish or other more "top swimmers" because Bolivians tend to be medium/low swimmers

Hatchets are cool, but make sure you seal the top. They are the world's only TRUE flying fish. Also, they are somewhat frail IME.

Hmm it seems most people say they are more docile than german rams and supposedly excellent community fish. More bark then bite lol But i guess ill start looking into it again and see what tankmates would be ideal.

I have never had problems with a bolivian ram and guppies.

Hatchets are cool, but make sure you seal the top. They are the world's only TRUE flying fish. Also, they are somewhat frail IME.

You do realize there is a species called the flying fish and they can actually glide for a good length, right? Lol

Im trying to stick away from the flying varieties lol

So i picked up an AC 70 filter and a peice of driftwood for the tank today. Was hoping to get some pool filter sand as well but there doesnt seem to be any here. So i guess i either look in another city or bite the bullet with the much more expensive "aquarium sand"

Or go to Home Depot and buy play sand. I forget the brand I use but it was from the inside section by the concrete. Some brands can become muddy, but I've had good success with this one

Or go to Home Depot and buy play sand. I forget the brand I use but it was from the inside section by the concrete. Some brands can become muddy, but I've had good success with this one

I was trying to stay away from it since it's a finer sand that is prone to compacting too much. Not sure how much of a deal it would be, but I read it could cause issues like ammonia pockets and it aeemed like it could do some harm. Plus it would be annoying to clean I'd bet. Has many people used it?

I was trying to stay away from it since it's a finer sand that is prone to compacting too much. Not sure how much of a deal it would be, but I read it could cause issues like ammonia pockets and it aeemed like it could do some harm. Plus it would be annoying to clean I'd bet. Has many people used it?

Generally, the problem with fine sand is that if it's too deep, you'll grow anaerobic bacteria that can release sulfur dioxide, methane, and possibly other gases that are toxic to fish. The trick seems to be to keep the sand less than 3" deep. Most folks who intentionally use sand as a medium for anaerobic bacteria growth in sumps have it 6" or deeper.

Generally, the problem with fine sand is that if it's too deep, you'll grow anaerobic bacteria that can release sulfur dioxide, methane, and possibly other gases that are toxic to fish. The trick seems to be to keep the sand less than 3" deep. Most folks who intentionally use sand as a medium for anaerobic bacteria growth in sumps have it 6" or deeper.

Well i just spent almost 2 hours churning and trying to rinse out play sand and it wasnt clearing up so i threw that idea out lol I guess its either pony up and spend a fortune on "aquarium gravel" or drive an hour to a bigger city for a cheap bag of sand lol Oh well. And i was only planning to have maybe 1.5" at the bottom anyways and see how that is.

Cant wait to get started on this thing and it sucks waiting for such a small part of it lol I should just print out a picture of sand and tape it to the bottom :p

I've had a lot of success using playsand. Part of the key is how you add the water when filling the tank. I like to use a python, take off the gravel vacc attachment, and the rubberband a large piece of foam or filter sponge to the end. Helps spread out the flow of the water and keeps the sand from really getting mixed into the water column. For my 120, I never even rinsed the sandImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432964798.196779.jpg

I've had a lot of success using playsand. Part of the key is how you add the water when filling the tank. I like to use a python, take off the gravel vacc attachment, and the rubberband a large piece of foam or filter sponge to the end. Helps spread out the flow of the water and keeps the sand from really getting mixed into the water column. For my 120, I never even rinsed the sand

Maybe the bag i got wasnt the same quality as the kind you got. But when i decided to call it quits the "sand" still fealt and had a texture more like mud then actual sand. So for what its worth ill probably see about a trip to try and find some pool sand tomorow. I guess its not a huge rush yet since my Biomax bag from the new filter can seed up in my girlfriends cycled tank and i should have plenty of BB ready to start up my tank by the time im set up

If you got Quikcrete, that may be the problem. I haven't had good experience with it. I think the old one I used was Kolorscape and I'm not sure the current one I use, but I could find it tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom