Intro and new fake saltwater tank and soon to be Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A flower horn has no business with that stock. The con should be moved also.

I understand your reasoning behind this statement but its erroneous. Convicts are regularly kept with Africans without incident. Mine has been with my most aggressive cichlids for a year. I know this forum loves to drill the separation of cichlids mantra, and for the most part I agree, but this is an exception. Im far more worried about the peacocks safety than the convict, she will hold her own just fine.

You may well be correct with the flower horn. I know their tendencies and size, but I'm gonna play it by ear and see how it goes. There are many successful examples around the web, try a Google search.

I understand your reasoning behind this statement but its erroneous. Convicts are regularly kept with Africans without incident. Mine has been with my most aggressive cichlids for a year. I know this forum loves to drill the separation of cichlids mantra, and for the most part I agree, but this is an exception. Im far more worried about the peacocks safety than the convict, she will hold her own just fine.

You may well be correct with the flower horn. I know their tendencies and size, but I'm gonna play it by ear and see how it goes. There are many successful examples around the web, try a Google search.

You may want to be prepared for the responses that may follow this statement. Mike is one of the nicer Cichlid guys that frequent here.
The others are insanely knowledgable but generally don't tolerate ignorance and sheer arrogance; and with good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What works for some may not work for all is what you would asterisk on the bottom of these type statements.. just in case a noob reads this post on there iPhone at the lfs ;) mike mike mike...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can see the con being ok. I would be more worried about it tearing up the colorful peacock fins up. The flower horn is another story. the day will come when he snaps and you will be trying to pull the rest of your stock out of its throat.

What works for some may not work for all is what you would asterisk on the bottom of these type statements.. just in case a noob reads this post on there iPhone at the lfs ;) mike mike mike...

what what what?

I was gonna avoid this thread, but i guess I shouldn't.

A flowerhorn, in my opinion, has no place in any stock, let alone with mbuna and peacocks. Most of the time peacocks are too peaceful with mbuna even, let alone a fish that can grow over a foot easily and is generally hyper-aggressive.

Adding more cons is a fantastic idea. Wait till they pair up and watch you entire tank get tormented to death....

If you're gonna post about it on here, you have to hear the comments, whether they are what you want to hear, or not so much.

I'd also rarely take a youtube video or random forum post as evidence that things will work. You're missing the heII that they went through to get the tank to be in harmony, or the heII that came afterwards.

And with that, I'm out.

what what what?

It was from the giecko commercial with the camels.. you were supposed to say.."it's not even Wednesday"... I'll see myself out..

It was from the giecko commercial with the camels.. you were supposed to say.."it's not even Wednesday"... I'll see myself out..

Hahahahahahaha you crack me up man!!!!!!!! That one went right over my head!
I'm old enough to remember the Life cereal commercials..

Sorry about that guys, I'm not trying to strike any nerves or insult anyone. I've lurked on these forums for years and have been a member a while. I enjoy the resource and understand how knowledgeable many of you are, again, I didn't mean offense.

Any and all input is vastly appreciated.

A little more background here, all aforementioned fish minus the Flowerhorn have been housed together for 8 months to a year for some. The Flower horn was bought admittedly in haste at a local show. Imagine my eyes when I saw how large they grow.

So last night I got the fish moved into the 60 gallon. Its been set up for a week now just running with my 30 gallon tetra filter that had been on my 20 high. Hoping the already established bacteria colony will speed cycling greatly. The tank setup is as follows,

60 gallon With two 24 inch fluorescent hoods
Aqueon 75 HOB filter 400 gph
Tetra 30 HOB filter (200 gph I believe) this will be swapped for a emperor 400 soon
200 watt heater
60 pounds of aquarium sand

I got the tank, stand, and lights for a steal at petsmart. Regularly $375 I caught the set on sale for $179.

Everyone is getting along so far, will post a pic when I get a chance.

I'm having a problem with the aqueon filter picking up slight traces of sand and seizing up. Ive been able to catch it and clean out and its started back working but I'm thinking something else will go before long. I'm looking into the marineland emperor 400, but will I still have this problem with any HOB filter in a sand tank?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thats just what happens to sand... id be restocking that bundle of ridiculousness and ignorance

Alright I'll bite...
Ridiculousness? Really? I get that the flower horn is not right for this tank. It was a mistake but I can't currently return him. I also understand its not ideal to mix the convict. The convict is staying, I will rehome the flowerhorn , can we get past this?

More pictures, a better shot of the front and a few shots of fish. Cell phone pics, sorry for the quality, my phone has a really slow focus. You can see both Peacocks in the first fish photo.

Attachments

• 1424970926030.jpg
    1424970926030.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 1424971039286.jpg
    1424971039286.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 95
Next the red zebra and then bumblebee

Attachments

• 1424971155400.jpg