Introduce me to the world of Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all! I currently have a tropical freshwater community tank consisting of angels, a tiger Oscar, tetras, mollies, Cory's, a red tailed shark, Khuli loaches, and a corydora.

I need all of you cichlid experts!! Tell me EVERYTHING about cichlids! New world vs old world

What kinds go with the ones I have (5 angels, one Oscar)

Tell me everything please!

How big of a tank do you have? What kind of filtration? As it currently looks you've got a lot of stock, and that O will eat the tetras for sure. Possibly the Mollies and Cory's too.

Most cichlids u add will kill the angels, most of the time they'll just eat they're long fins for amusement. Then the angel just dies

I have a 55 and angels are cichlids I know and I met someone with multiple cichlid tanks and angels were in them and they got along fine.

And I was considering getting rid of my tetras and glass fish and everything and switching over to oscars, angels, and other cichlids. I'm also getting more tanks in about a year

Oscars grow VERY fast. a 55 gal is the bare minimum for one oscar. Within a year the oscar will almost be full grown. around 8-9 inches easy. If you are looking to house multiple cichilids in one tank, you need bigger.

I currently have a 110 gallon, with a Tiger Oscar 3", Green Terror 2", and Firemouth 3". I might be a little overstocked as well.

The red tailed shark can be little demons and highly aggressive. Oscars get really big mouths and can eat anything in that tank when full grown. I've seen a huge Oscars over two feet.

I am planning on adding more tanks in a year when I move out. I'm aware that the Oscar will eat the other fish I will be adjusting the fish as needed I have a friend who will home them temporarily if I need to (she's got over 10 tanks multiple under stocked) for either the others. I want to possibly get a cichlid tank and have her hold onto them for me until I can get a new tank (mom is strict as hell)

I guess I'm just a little frustrated right now I know my Oscar will eventually eat my other fish I have everything under control my friend can hold fish if it grows too big before I move out or if I'm wanting to convert to cichlids now - but no one seems to be helping me with the information I am seeking I feel like everyone is only saying what's not right. I know there will be problems in the future and I've got that taken care of.

Right now I really want to learn about cichlids and see what I can do to have an angelfish/Oscar + other cichlid tank. My Oscar is 2 inches right now and my angelfish's body sizes are all half dollar (excluding fins)

I'm wondering about the difference between new and old world, the water parameters ideals, difference in care between community and cichlids. Stuff like that. :)

The two cichlids you have are not compatible at all. No matter how you put it, it won't work. If you stick to the angels you can probably get some rams or apistos (dwarf cichlids) to go in the same tank if it is large enough. The Oscar will need a 75g+ tank just for him. If you want tank mates you need a 125g or more. If you want African cichlids you need a different tank altogether. They are not compatible with the Oscar or the angels.

Back
Top Bottom