Introducing my discus to the community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
My discus tank is acrylic and even though I scrub it down once a week with an acrylic tank sponge, the tank is getting a nice buildup of discus slime and I'm getting sick of it. How likely are the discus to be happy in the 75 gallon community tank? It's moderately planted, and now that I have clown loaches to take care of the snails, hopefully the plants will make a comeback. Anyway, if everyone would live happily together, I'd prefer doing maintenance on a glass tank rather than the acrylic. Do I even have room to combine everyone? I may be just dreaming, but if anyone has experience introducing discus to a community tank, I'd love to hear feedback. Thanks!

You could move the discus, but perhaps some of the more active fish could go into the 35 gal. Keep in mind that discus often do not grow well in a planted tank. You would need to keep up the pwc's. I'd suggest atleast twice a week. You are proably better off putting the Discus by themselves, perhaps with loaches in the 75 then adding back the fish you want with them.

How often are you doing pwc's on your discus tank. I would not have thought that the slime on the acrylic was from the Discus. It is probably bacteria or algae. What are the nitrATE levels in the 35 Gal. I'd try to solve the 35 gal prblem first before moving the fish. When the fish are fully grown, that Discus tank will be almost at full capacity and daily pwcs would be inorder.

I know exactly what you mean Jen. Discus slime can be nasty. In any event, IMO at 4 inches your discus need more room to maximize growth (I'd leave the 2 inch discus where it is assuming it isn't a runt).

FWIW I have 5 adult discus in a planted community 125. I change water in this tank once a week and have had no problems to date. The time for changing lots of water is when you're growing them out. JMO

All fish have a slime coat to some extent. Discus produce more slime though. They have a special slime as a first fry food too. When there are problems with discus the slime can come off.

Our Aussie forktailed catfish have nasty slime too Blucat. When you catch one and try to unhook it there as a slime the consisency of thick snot all over the area the fish has come into contact.

eeeeewwwwwww i didn't know t hat fish produced slime, esp discus and that forktail catfish. thanks for enlightning me :)

Sorry for the lack of response, but my computer at home has decided to go psycho and I only have online access at work now. I do 30% pwc on the discus tank probably 4-5 times a week. I aim for every day, but it doesn't always work. Once a week I scrub down the tank sides, but it's a hassle and messy. I would like to probably do away with the 35 gallon since it's an awkward tank to deal with, although it is such a nice size. It doesn't help that the only place I have room for it is under the 75 gallon, so on top of everything I'm having to kneel on the floor to do maintenance. Anyway, the 2" discus is the survivor of the babies I bought a month or so ago. Its sibling died and so I took the chance that it would do better in a "school" of other discus, even though they are quite a bit bigger than it. So far so good. No problems at feeding time because the silly blue diamond is too shy to come out when I'm around so the brown discus and the baby (which is rumored to be a red turquoise) have all the eating time they want until lights go out and the blue diamond comes out. I will tough it out for another few weeks to make sure the 75 gallon is healthy enough to add the discus, but I think they would make a striking addition to the tank.

JenNewbie,

I think you could make this work. I would watch the gouramis though to see if they are agressive toward the discus. I would also consider removing all the plecos. Plecos can be good for algea control, but they are also known to like discus slime and I have seen them try to attach to discus which obviously stresses the discus.

Good luck,

Back
Top Bottom