Introducing new cichlids to a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big John

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there anything I should or shouldn't be doing when putting new cichlids into my tank. Other than what you would normally do when putting any new fish in a tank

I just float my cichlids for a hour. Then add water on slow increments for 30 minutes (all without lights on) then I release them and let the territory decisions begin lol

As long as u have hiding spots and don't mix species (such as South Americans with Africans), you should be fine

Is there anything I should or shouldn't be doing when putting new cichlids into my tank. Other than what you would normally do when putting any new fish in a tank

If your doing all Africans or all South Americans, just float them for 30min, pour them out of the lfs bag into your net over the sink letting all their water go down the drain, and gently release em into your tank and x2 on the hiding spot and decision making lol

When adding new cichlids to an already established tank I move decor around to break up territories. Since cichlids are territorial, and by moving things around, you are breaking up their boundries and no one has a territory. The new ones are accepted easier because no one has their own spot.

Sometimes, just doing a water change and shifting sand/substrate around works just as well.

When adding new cichlids to an already established tank I move decor around to break up territories. Since cichlids are territorial, and by moving things around, you are breaking up their boundries and no one has a territory. The new ones are accepted easier because no one has their own spot.

Sometimes, just doing a water change and shifting sand/substrate around works just as well.

Well I've just done a water change and moved everything round to add more caves for them in the form of plant pots and I'm putting some new fish in, in the morning is that ok

Just out of interest what would happen if I mixed Africans with Americans because I already have Africans but have seen some nice firemouths

I understand that but why?

Africans are more aggressive usually.

Also, depending on what type of africans, different dietary needs. Firemouths are high protein fish, where as some africans are low protein, more greens type of eaters. If you feed a low protein african too much protein, then they could get malawi bloat.

Different water types. Firemouths prefer softer water, most africans harder water. Although I keep both and they do just fine on our water without any special cichlid salts or other buffering agents. So I put that in the "ehhh, hogwash" pile of knowledge.

Africans are more aggressive usually.

Depends. My Fronts although large and will eat what fits in there mouth are far from aggressive. Salvinis and Nigro (convicts) CA are stime cold killers.

Also, depending on what type of africans, different dietary needs. Firemouths are high protein fish, where as some africans are low protein, more greens type of eaters. If you feed a low protein african too much protein, then they could get malawi bloat.

I feed all my my tanks the same pellets and flakes now for three years with no deaths. I have a South American and a lake Tanganyica biotope tank. Along with a few breeder colonies from lake Vic as well as as fish endemic to yucatan.

Different water types. Firemouths prefer softer water, most africans harder water. Although I keep both and they do just fine on our water without any special cichlid salts or other buffering agents. So I put that in the "ehhh, hogwash" pile of knowledge.

I agree life is much simpler when all your tanks are acclimated to your local water. Less stress for all. We cause most of it when we try to tamper with the chemistry of it.

There is people that mix fish from different parts of the world. Hence a community tank. Even I have a shoal Denison barbs with my tangs. It's just some cichlids tend to be territorial and some hyper-aggressive. Mixing is a risk with expensive cichlids. Can it work maybe.

Thank for that I will be getting some more africans tomorrow then

I like those rocks but have not seen any in shops (in UK) that's why I've put the plant pots in half buried. They haven't been in long but my fish seem to like them a cple of them have moved in already

I like those rocks but have not seen any in shops (in UK) that's why I've put the plant pots in half buried. They haven't been in long but my fish seem to like them a cple of them have moved in already

They sell them online for 70 US dollars

It would hurt the wallet if that's each and they won't be going in my tank

Back
Top Bottom