Is a red jewel, a jewel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was looking to get a red jewel for my cichlid tank but was scared and backed away when I heard how aggressive they are when they breed. If I only got one male, would that be okay? I want a red fish in my tank and am limited to fish in my area. Unless any place offers shipping under $15. I think its a waste of money. Any ideas, advice, tips, experience is welcome and greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130714_184812.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130714_184812.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 114
I was looking to get a red jewel for my cichlid tank but was scared and backed away when I heard how aggressive they are when they breed. If I only got one male, would that be okay? I want a red fish in my tank and am limited to fish in my area. Unless any place offers shipping under $15. I think its a waste of money. Any ideas, advice, tips, experience is welcome and greatly appreciated.

I am fairly new at cichlids but I would recommend. A red parrot. Very pretty and non- aggressive.

I am fairly new at cichlids but I would recommend. A red parrot. Very pretty and non- aggressive.

Parrots are horribly deformed hybrids incapable of defending themselves due to a deformity that keeps them from closing their mouths. They will not do well with Africans, and personally, (and if you want to discuss the ethics of hybrids, pm me as this has a habit of getting out of hand) I feel they have no place in the obey and are abominations created from beautiful species

How bout a German Red Peacock Cichlid. Those are so pretty. I was also looking into Jewels but I cant put them w peacocks.
I already have two, a male/female pair, but they are orange. And I was looking for a true red.

I already have two, a male/female pair, but they are orange. And I was looking for a true red.

Oh lord Dont get him started on parrots Lol I have a red jewel in my south america. Tank with a jack a convict and a few others he does wonderfully. The thing is red jewels although African are more like south american. They come from Madagascar and live in rivers just like south american cichlids and very unlike the African rift lake species therefore their diets vary differently and their forms pf aggression are more like SA/ca but one would do fine. Oh yeah and I have a parrot in there to they get along fine but you always gotfa remember every fish has its own personality

I had a breeding pair of jewels in my old 120 African tank. They did fine. If they breed just take out whatever the eggs are on. That's all I ever did and my tank did great

I have a jewel cichlid (not a red jewel) with my jack dempsey, fire mouth, 2 convicts. It is nipping all the other fish's tails. In fact the jewel is the only fish in the tank whose tail isn't torn up. Although, I think it's beautiful, it will have to go back...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130717_205059.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_205059.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20130717_205310.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_205310.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 74
  • ForumRunner_20130717_205726.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130717_205726.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 75
How aggressive though? Ive seen my fish lock lips and make lots of contact. But once one won, the other one respects him and his territory and have no problems. Would a red jewel keep attacking? I only want one male.

I have plenty of caves, and my fish just dig under the sand to make a new one. Ungrateful little punks! :) lol.

I have a breeding pair in a 25 now one of my LFS sells them for 13 a pop so I'm hoping to make some spare change off the offspring

I have a jewel cichlid (not a red jewel) with my jack dempsey, fire mouth, 2 convicts. It is nipping all the other fish's tails. In fact the jewel is the only fish in the tank whose tail isn't torn up. Although, I think it's beautiful, it will have to go back...

Nice meeki one of my FSV central American species ! How big is your tank ?

13 wow. I paid around $5 for the ones I got

Well..... they are ruby reds and I think the reason he can get that kind of money for them is because I live on the eastern side of Maryland and the only other place that carries ruby reds if they even do is a place called house of tropicals they are a nationally recognized FS and are even in TFH magazine adds. Only issue is that store is 1.5 hours away close to Baltimore Maryland. The guy I bout mine from is 20 min away so its 6 to one half dozen to the other I can pay a little more to buy closer or take a chance and drive and spend 20$ in gas to go to a place that may not have them see what I mean ?

Back
Top Bottom