is it possible for a convict to grow up in comm tank and not be mean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

convict78

Aquarium Advice Regular
my wife beleaves this,i dont think so.i think its in their nature but so far so good(about a month)in community tank.

Attachments

• DSC00837.jpg
    DSC00837.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 56
I think that they are fine now as young as they are. But eventually they get MUCH bigger then the 1 in the pic as you know. And small fish are on there list as natural prey. So i think it will be fine for a while but i think in the end they will eat or attack your fish as they get older and more aggressive. But it is a worthy experiment, i wouldn't try it with the fish you have them with in fear of losing them but i might do it. Keep us updated as they grow.

and they get worse when they start to breed.

i learned that before,i started with other cichlids only to have them killed off one by one by the convicts when they had their first batch.in a panick to save the fish that were left i moved the pair and babies and only one baby survived now in the 36 gal tank.i also have a new batch in a 1 gal non filtered tank that i have to do daily water changes,but havent lost a fry yet.looking for a better tank to move them to now

a few pics of the parents and fry, the valcano and squidward's house from spongebob are for my kids

Attachments

• DSC00857.jpg
    DSC00857.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00858.jpg
    DSC00858.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00872.jpg
    DSC00872.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00859.jpg
    DSC00859.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 53
Yeah, I hate to stereo type, but once a punk always a punk. It might get along with a Jack Demsey.lol
PS: every nice lookimg Convicts

Once those convicts grow a little bigger that ram thats in your tank is in for a world of pain. I wouldn't trust convicts in a community tank especialy when there bigger and breeding.

update

a couple weeks after my post a parasite wiped out half my tank.(i know i should quarantine new fish) including the convict fry,one of the first to go all i have left from that batch is an angel and my black ghost and some corys.i now have a batch of over 100 fry that i have no idea what to do with i keep in a 10 gallon.i was planning on feeding them to the black ghost but didnt have the heart.so now i guess i will just give them away when they are too big to keep together

no not yet,i bought a black angel that had a parasite from a place i wasnt familiar with so i wont be going back. took about a month and alot of trying of meds and parasite food for it to be gone so hopefully never again.it was heartbreaking watching the fish die 1 by 1.my wife cried when the baby convict died.

Back
Top Bottom