Is my cichlid holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

differenter2000

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451610054.850026.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451610072.507536.jpg
I posted this on the breeding thing and I got no replys, I'm starting to get really worried about my cichlid. I can't tell if she's holding or if she has bloat. I thought he was male because she has egg spots but now I'm not sure. She's active, seems healthy but not really eating. Her neck isn't normally this big but when I looked up peacock cichlids holding it looked a little different because the neck was fatter closer to the front but on mine it's mainly the back of the throat thats big. She was making a nest in her other tank so idk. Am I just being paranoid? Is this just normal and maybe I'm just noticing this now?

No the fish in question isn't holding.

If your sure your water quality is good(actually checking with a quality liquid test kit) then I'd would assume it's a digestive issue.

The most common signs of Bloat are being reclusive, lethargic, spitting food, stringy white poop, and a sunken belly...rarely do the fish actually bloat up. I would suggest a couple of rounds of Metrozoidale, I use Parasite Clear by Jungle. If the situation progresses then I'll turn to Clout which is a nasty medication combination which is for emergency purposes only IMO. If the fish is spitting food and refusing to eat I'd start treating immediately. It you don't have the meds you can also dose Epsom salts at 1tbs per 5g slowly over a few hours time, until the tank is treated.

During this time of 4-5 days do not feed the fish or turn the lights on as Metrozoidale is effected by light. Treat the tank for 2 days then perform a 30-40% water change and dose again at full strength.

Afterwards the cause must be addressed, the most common reasons are stress, poor food choice as in low quality high protein, and to much salt.
Improper diet is in my opinion one of the largest causes of death in Mbuna.

No the fish in question isn't holding.

If your sure your water quality is good(actually checking with a quality liquid test kit) then I'd would assume it's a digestive issue.

The most common signs of Bloat are being reclusive, lethargic, spitting food, stringy white poop, and a sunken belly...rarely do the fish actually bloat up. I would suggest a couple of rounds of Metrozoidale, I use Parasite Clear by Jungle. If the situation progresses then I'll turn to Clout which is a nasty medication combination which is for emergency purposes only IMO. If the fish is spitting food and refusing to eat I'd start treating immediately. It you don't have the meds you can also dose Epsom salts at 1tbs per 5g slowly over a few hours time, until the tank is treated.

During this time of 4-5 days do not feed the fish or turn the lights on as Metrozoidale is effected by light. Treat the tank for 2 days then perform a 30-40% water change and dose again at full strength.

Afterwards the cause must be addressed, the most common reasons are stress, poor food choice as in low quality high protein, and to much salt.

Improper diet is in my opinion one of the largest causes of death in Mbuna.

Okay thanks so much! He started looking like this shortly after I put him into the new tank but he's eating now and all my cichlids are extremely active, they rarely "sit" still. He's looking better now and his poop looks good.

Back
Top Bottom