Is my Jack dempsey cichlid male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonthefisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here are some pics of my jack dempsey cichlid. I was wondering if i have a male or female J.D.

20130426_231204.jpg

20130426_231149.jpg

377631_491961690839971_879912721_n.jpeg

Thanks! Thats what I was sort of leaning towards but definatly good to get the 2nd opinion. You think hell be ok in 40 gallon breeder when hes full size? His tankmates are 3 bolivian rams. I dont plan on putting anything else in there because i know they can get pretty big.

:welcome: to the forum! I agree jds and gbrs shouldn't be together. Eventually you'll have aggression issues if you don't now

Well...i do have other tanks the rams could go in. Jd alone in 40 is to small apparently... petstore had 40 gal as minimum size tank for it so i thought it was ok.

It'll be ok for a while, what size is ur jd? Looks like he needs a bigger tank soon tho from the pic.

He'll be ok temporarily but you should work on upgrading or re homing....:(. Ik it's not what you want to hear. But it's always a good excuse to get a bigger tank!!

Yeeah. Not sure i have room for a bigger one so ill probably find someone or somewhere i can give him to.

Would i be better off with african cichlids since they generally dont get as large as south anericans? And will they be ok with a 7.5 ph or is that to low? (my water that comes out the tap is 7.5.) I know i can use stuff to raise the ph but id prefer not to.

Or if i can still get south americans...which ones would be ok for a 40 gallon breeder?

Or if i can still get south americans...which ones would be ok for a 40 gallon breeder?

You would be fine having him in that tank. It has a bigger and better footprint than a 55. You just have to have a good water change schedule and keep it clean. And have good filtration.

I have a marineland canister filter for a 55 gallon tank and even another smaller h.o.b filter going. I try to do a 15-20 % water change once a week. Then on 3rd or 4th week i do a bigger water change.

I have a marineland canister filter for a 55 gallon tank and even another smaller h.o.b filter going. I try to do a 15-20 % water change once a week. Then on 3rd or 4th week i do a bigger water change.

That should be enough..some people would beg to differ however.

Back
Top Bottom