Is my jack dempsey male or female ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommounseen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Iv just been given a Jack Dempsey from a friend and I was just wondering about its gender.

Attachments

• image-3208069213.jpg
    image-3208069213.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 120
Nice female. I wish my friend gave me a female jack to keep my avatar company A very nice fish you now have.

Unfortunately i have to keep her on her own because she wiped her last community out :( but iv been out and bought another jd and put it in another tank until it gets bigger unfortunately the one iv bought is only a few months old so i dont know ifyou can tell if its male or female yet but im hoping its a male so they might get along abit better :)

The clumping of the blue speckles in your first post indicates it is a female. If you second JD is a male, the blue speckling on the face will be spotty.

Def a female. I am attaching a photo of my two jd's. you can see the turquoise spotting on the female is more blotchy and brighter than the male(like everyone is saying) the male is on the right. He doesn't have as many stripes left either.

Attachments

• image-1629492835.jpg
    image-1629492835.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 92
If you have a young jd with tons of red in its fin does that go away as they mature?? I never see adults with it

ForumRunner_20121112_090737.jpg

Only my male pictured above of the two when they were juveniles had the red. He still has it it is just not as deep and vibrant and cannot be seen in my picture. Looks like a male to me because of the red on the dorsal

Back
Top Bottom