is she holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have my suspects narrowed down pretty good. My dominant male c. Afra has been showing off for her for a couple of months now, I guess maybe she finally accepted him! Today, she's keeping to herself, staying out of sight, popping out from time to time. While he seems more calm today compared to most days. Usually he's chasing her down flaring his fins trying to look sexy or something.

I have got a Yellow Lab that is holding. She is usually hiding and now he is being aggressive towards her and the others when she comes out. He forces her back into a little cave in the rocks. Watch out for that. I also have an Acei male that is wreaking havoc and the female is not even showing yet. He struts his stuff and chases the three other males away.

rotorhead22 said:
I have got a Yellow Lab that is holding. She is usually hiding and now he is being aggressive towards her and the others when she comes out. He forces her back into a little cave in the rocks. Watch out for that. I also have an Acei male that is wreaking havoc and the female is not even showing yet. He struts his stuff and chases the three other males away.

My acei is the same way. I will definitely be keeping a close eye out!

Anybody else want to chime in? I know the pics are a little crappy, I question it because the bottom of her jaw in one spot is actually pointed. Its not rounded off or anything. She is also making kissy type movements with her lips. Honestly it looks like she's got a rock in her throat to me. And if that's the case I'd like to get it out!

Not a rock, I'd say she's holding! When you go to feed you'll see she may come out and almost look like she wants to eat but she won't. You will notice it more I the next few days, not a expert but I guess the eggs get larger so her throat will bulge more. That's what I noticed with mine.
Congrats!!

How exciting! She is my first holding fish. She does act like she wants to eat, but she wont. I even tried giving her a pea (they'll do anything for a pea) and she went up to it then went back to her area. I'm so excited :dance:

So she'll hold for what, about 3 weeks? Off to get a divider :D

Here is a pic of my holding Lab. 2nd time. First time she ate her clutch. Hope she is successful this time. Best of luck on yours.

Attachments

• image-657400627.jpg
    image-657400627.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 87
christine2012 said:
How exciting! She is my first holding fish. She does act like she wants to eat, but she wont. I even tried giving her a pea (they'll do anything for a pea) and she went up to it then went back to her area. I'm so excited :dance:

So she'll hold for what, about 3 weeks? Off to get a divider :D

Yes, she will hold for about 3 weeks. Just a word of caution, sometimes the first time a female holds she isn't successful. She could accidentally swallow them while being stressed or spit them prematurely. So, don't get your hopes up too much. Having said that, I've had 3 holding females so far and I now have fry from all 3 so hopefully you will too!

rotorhead22 said:
Here is a pic of my holding Lab. 2nd time. First time she ate her clutch. Hope she is successful this time. Best of luck on yours.

My afras jaw looks JUST like that with a point at the very bottom. (y)

CraigMac said:
Yes, she will hold for about 3 weeks. Just a word of caution, sometimes the first time a female holds she isn't successful. She could accidentally swallow them while being stressed or spit them prematurely. So, don't get your hopes up too much. Having said that, I've had 3 holding females so far and I now have fry from all 3 so hopefully you will too!

Cool. I don't really expect fry this time anyway , she is still pretty young. I figure it'll take her a few tries to get it right. I'm more excited that she finally accepted his courting! Should I invest in a bushy plant for the fry to hide out? Or should I just divide the tank? I don't have a growout setup soooo ....

Without a grow out tank id say add a lil fake grass and let nature take its course..survival of the fittest lol

Mrc8858 said:
Without a grow out tank id say add a lil fake grass and let nature take its course..survival of the fittest lol

If I didn't want to keep them I'd let nature take its course. My jewels spawn every 2 weeks like clockwork and their fry last only a week or so. I reeeaaalllly want some afra fry though!

Heavily plant it with fake plants and use some pots flipped upside down to the drain hole is the only entrance then the fry have a place to hide

Mrc8858 said:
Heavily plant it with fake plants and use some pots flipped upside down to the drain hole is the only entrance then the fry have a place to hide

Definitely going to get more fake plants. Thanks a million.

My little mama is 16 days into her incubation! !!! She still has them, I even saw one escape from her mouth and she scooped it back up! She seems like she's done this before! I'm concerned about her though, obviously she hasn't eaten, and her belly looks really concave. Is this anything to be worried about?

Her male counterpart has been showing again. I'm thinking of getting him another lady so he doesn't stress her too bad.

christine2012 said:
My little mama is 16 days into her incubation! !!! She still has them, I even saw one escape from her mouth and she scooped it back up! She seems like she's done this before! I'm concerned about her though, obviously she hasn't eaten, and her belly looks really concave. Is this anything to be worried about?

Her male counterpart has been showing again. I'm thinking of getting him another lady so he doesn't stress her too bad.

Nothing to worry about.They hold for up to 30 days without eating and I haven't lost a female yet.After 30 days she will spit and then start eating again.
This is why the females stay smaller in early life because their eating is disrupted.

Back
Top Bottom