Is this a female apisto viejita or male?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like a female macmasteri in my opinion.

+1. True apisto Viejitas are pretty rare at this point, they'd have to be wc. The macs are much much more common. And yes. That is just parroted info.. but!! Parroted from the best;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And they don't seem to like eachother much...which is why I thought it wAs a male ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419174846.949436.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1. True apisto Viejitas are pretty rare at this point, they'd have to be wc. The macs are much much more common. And yes. That is just parroted info.. but!! Parroted from the best;)

You are correct, the real vejita are rarely imported, even Europe and Asia rarely get them. There are a few people in the states keeping and breeding them, but so far they are keeping a tight grip on them.

Op your fish is definitely a macmasteri and it looks like cf. red shoulder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So do I have a male and female then?
Do they need more than 1 female?

Subdominant males will take on female pattern and color to ward off any aggression from the male.

Subdom females will also take on male coloration to ward off crazy chicks.. i can personally attest to this behavior..

Just for reference this is a true vejita

Attachments

• 1419354292128.jpg
    1419354292128.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 83
I guess I really don't care which fish I have...just want to know how to make it happy. I love my macmasteri!

I guess I really don't care which fish I have...just want to know how to make it happy. I love my macmasteri!

Just keep up on regular maintenance and feed it quality flake/ pellet and frozen food, if it doesn't like prepared foods then a diet of frozen and live foods is the ticket.

Put a bottle of wine and some chocolate infront of the tank. .. she'll swim on over; )

Back
Top Bottom