It finally happened

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

godzilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
I thought I was living proof that plecos and demasoni can live together. For the past 6 months Ive had around 20 demasoni, 6 yellow labs, and 2 plecos (one rubberlip, one red devil) in a 55 gallon tank. I also had 2 lake tanganyika cichlids that I inherited living in there.

last month I found 3 dead fish in one day, the 2 tanganyikans, and one yellow lab. I also saw one dead fry but couldnt identify it. I call this massacre '07. It seemed sexual maturity had been reached, and now the fight came out in the demasoni.

Everything was peaceful again...or so I thought. I woke up today to see the rubberlip pleco dead and stuck behind the filter tube at the top. Seems he tried to run there for cover but got nowhere fast.

Now I have one red devil pleco who is a pretty decent size (4-5") and is full grown. He was acting funny today, hanging right out in front waiting for me to see him. I think its time to move him downstairs to the community planted tank. I know moving him will be rough on him but I think moved is much better than tormented or dead.

I just hope the other labs make it. They seem to look a bit scared and arent acting themselves....

Moral of the story? No matter what you think you can mix, there will always be surprises!

Sorry to hear. I thought it was bad when I made a stupid mistake by putting 5 little otos with my 8 Africans. Wasn't pretty (I saved them though).

Back
Top Bottom