It has FINALLY happened!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have three Africans holding fry at the same time. The Kenyi has been in QT for about a week now. The most we have ever had at one time was two (Cobalt and Peacock). Tonight while doing a water change James was inspecting the fish and noticed that he was missing a Lab and the peacock. We moved the plants and rocks around and finally found them hiding in the castle. Both are holding fry! We FINALLY have a lab holding! Imagine my excitement! She's about 3 1/2 inches in size so I'm pretty optimistic about her batch. It will be her first so we may not have many survivors though.

We took both of them out of the tank and put them in the 29 gal with the Cobalt fry. In my excitement I took a pic.

I actually thought that she was a he. The dark black markings on the fins really had me fooled. It just goes to show that you never really can sex a lab without venting.

Congrads on the new ones. I know just how you feel. I have been waitting on my Apisto agiss red tails to throw a fry out and last night while I was feeding I seen her in the cave with bright red eggs. So good luck with yours.

Can anyone else shed some light on the sexing? From what I have read, the dark black anal fin shows male dominance. The top fin blackness being darker is "supposed" to show that it is a male.

I've always gone by the leg fins, black lines in them is female. No black in them is male. Then as you said " The dark black line in the anaul fin is male as well. I have also seen what I call sleeper males. The usaully show all signs of female til alater age then start getting the male trates like the higher dorsal fin and the black in the anual fin. But that's only been in a larger fry and when raised in that fry to alater age.
But then again I'm not apro on labs and it's been yrs sents I've had them. So All my info my be totally out dated by now.

Back
Top Bottom