Itchy cichlids???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crashf100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,just noticed over the last few days that alot of my cichlids(mixed african lakes) are darting down to the gravel substrat & kinda scratching thier sides??? I cant seem to see any visible signs of spots or any strange growth ect.any tips/ ideas would be greatly appreaciated.

crashf100 said:
Hi,just noticed over the last few days that alot of my cichlids(mixed african lakes) are darting down to the gravel substrat & kinda scratching thier sides??? I cant seem to see any visible signs of spots or any strange growth ect.any tips/ ideas would be greatly appreaciated.

I don't think it's anything to worry about if there are no signs of anything. Mine do that all the time and it's the same (mixed African tank) they shoot down into the sand and go sideways.

Thanks for that.I noticed that my two yellow tail acei "pseudotropheus sp acei" were the first to do it & then over a couple of weeks several of the others joined in.?? Being new to cichlids but not so new to aquariums i guess ill just keep an eye on them.Thanks again.

crashf100 said:
Thanks for that.I noticed that my two yellow tail acei "pseudotropheus sp acei" were the first to do it & then over a couple of weeks several of the others joined in.?? Being new to cichlids but not so new to aquariums i guess ill just keep an eye on them.Thanks again.

+ 1 its normal
It is called flashing if you don't have salt in the tank you could try a little it may or may not help

Yeh i use a product by aquasonic called rift lake water conditioner.its just salt & minerals.also hardens the water & helps keep ph up.

+ 1 its normal

While that's true in some circumstances there are also all sorts of reasons for flashing, such as high nitrates, external parasites(not all are visable, some in gills), swings in PH after water changes, or other things in the water column such as some water conditioners or outside chemicals. So without a little more background I would say it could be FAR from normal.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
While that's true in some circumstances there are also all sorts of reasons for flashing, such as high nitrates, external parasites(not all are visable, some in gills), swings in PH after water changes, and some water conditioners. So without a little more background I would say it could be FAR from normal.

Hmmmm...:/

Back
Top Bottom