It's NOT over!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another DOA tonight. I've had this guy since a baby! Not sure what's going on but I guess it wasn't the Orange Zebra?

We eliminated water issues etc... We agreed it was a hyper dominate male right? Which means he's still in the tank or maybe the moving of some decor and breaking down some Cichlid stones etc, now everyone has to re establish territory?

This is a HUGE blow and I'm really. It sure I can take much more of this!!!

Not everyday!!! UGH!!!!!!!

image-805891154.jpg

image-3324804481.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Incompatible fish grow up to be, well incompatible. Sorry for the losses, but the cause is actually pretty clear IMO.

HN1 said:
Incompatible fish grow up to be, well incompatible. Sorry for the losses, but the cause is actually pretty clear IMO.

So even with the dominate male removed there will always be another fish to take its place that's what your saying right? I get the whole incompatible thing but...

As humans and animals a lot of us are suppose to be incompatible, I buy it to a certain degree but have seen tanks with all kinds doing very well for years an years. Which makes me question that. I've seen goldfish and plecos with JD's and convicts.

Don't get me wrong lesson learned for me but... What's lesson?

We go against the grain with soooo many things even in my line of work "the book" only goes so far.

I have seen very few mixed lake tanks succeed into maturity. Personally, I'd say to pick your favorite species in the tank, keep them and anything else from the same lake that will work with them and trade the rest for fish that will fit into the decided "motif". JMO.

Convict, I'm not trying to be rude here, but the simple fact is you are dealing with an aggression issue because of your stocking choices. You are not dealing with a single dominant male, your tank if full of incompatible dominant males, and your aggression issues and fish loses are going to continue until you change the stock. I know that is hard to accept, because we want to be able to do what we want to do, but as HUKIT pointed out early in the other thread, there are compatible stocking lists for a reason.

Wy Renegade said:
Convict, I'm not trying to be rude here, but the simple fact is you are dealing with an aggression issue because of your stocking choices. You are not dealing with a single dominant male, your tank if full of incompatible dominant males, and your aggression issues and fish loses are going to continue until you change the stock. I know that is hard to accept, because we want to be able to do what we want to do, but as HUKIT pointed out early in the other thread, there are compatible stocking lists for a reason.

I don't take anything as rude trust me. Your offering help, that's not rude. I'm not one of those guys that posts and then knocks everyone that offers there advice. I know what I have to do, I was just hoping I found an easy way out and I'm Just trying to take it all in and learn. I'm gonna pick what fish I want an re home the rest. And while I'm doing that I may switch to sand also. I've always liked the look of sand. I'll have my buddy come over and we'll make a day of it an he can bring the others back to his store and help me pick out fish that won't kill each other.

Is this the same buddy who convinced you that all these fish would be ok in the first place and owns a LFS? Not sure as I could have things mixed up, but if it is, I think I would look for another source of compatible suggestions.

Convict2161 said:
I don't take anything as rude trust me. Your offering help, that's not rude. I'm not one of those guys that posts and then knocks everyone that offers there advice. I know what I have to do, I was just hoping I found an easy way out and I'm Just trying to take it all in and learn. I'm gonna pick what fish I want an re home the rest. And while I'm doing that I may switch to sand also. I've always liked the look of sand. I'll have my buddy come over and we'll make a day of it an he can bring the others back to his store and help me pick out fish that won't kill each other.

Very good idea I think you've already tryed everything else that's possible.

Reactions: HN1
Wy Renegade said:
Is this the same buddy who convinced you that all these fish would be ok in the first place and owns a LFS? Not sure as I could have things mixed up, but if it is, I think I would look for another source of compatible suggestions.

No that guy who owns a LFS we umm... Haven't been on good terms because of his useless info and his advice on fixing the problem is the reason I'm where I am now.

This guy Joe is a good guy. He's going through my stock and shaking his head half the time. He feels bad that someone just kept selling fish like that and didn't take anything into account. Joe will help me fix this. I may go tropheus. Not sure yet. But when the tank is redone and re stocked expect an overload of pics lol.

Reactions: HN1
No that guy who owns a LFS we umm... Haven't been on good terms because of his useless info and his advice on fixing the problem is the reason I'm where I am now.

This guy Joe is a good guy. He's going through my stock and shaking his head half the time. He feels bad that someone just kept selling fish like that and didn't take anything into account. Joe will help me fix this. I may go tropheus. Not sure yet. But when the tank is redone and re stocked expect an overload of pics lol.

Sounds good. However, since the title of this thread isn't very accurate or likely to draw people in, might I suggest that you continue the discussion and post the new pictures in your original build thread, or start and new "Rebuilding" thread? You'll probably get a lot more input and views that way. JMO

Smaller tanks will always be harder to control any potential aggression issues, if your set on keeping these type of mixed tanks I would suggest a 180-220g since the extra space make the chances of scenarios like this lower...not elimate them just lower them. Good luck.

Wy Renegade said:
Sounds good. However, since the title of this thread isn't very accurate or likely to draw people in, might I suggest that you continue the discussion and post the new pictures in your original build thread, or start and new "Rebuilding" thread? You'll probably get a lot more input and views that way. JMO

Yeah that's cool. You can close this and I'll start a re build thread when ready. Thanks for everyone's help and thank you Renegade.

HUKIT said:
Smaller tanks will always be harder to control any potential aggression issues, if your set on keeping these type of mixed tanks I would suggest a 180-220g since the extra space make the chances of scenarios like this lower...not elimate them just lower them. Good luck.

Man if I could convince the wife I would definitely go with a 180g for sure.

Sounds good! Closed at OP's request. We'll look forward to seeing what direction you end up taking the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom