Jack demosey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VOZIE

Aquarium Advice Activist
An you have more then one JD in a tank. I have a 75 gallon tank. Will they fight or get along.

I would suggest only a pair and THATS it. You shouldnt put anything else in the tank with a pair of JDs in a 75g.

Its also trial and error. The pair might get along, they might not, you never know with JDs or any other cichlid.

I have 3 in a 75 with a pair of fire mouths. 75 is plenty of room for Jacks. They aren't as aggressive as some of the other larger new worlds cichlids. With that being said they should not be put with smaller fish because they will eat them. And if another fish is trying to bully them they will stand up for themselves and will finish it.

If you are trying to get a pair buy 6-10 juveniles and wait until you see pairs forming and sell of the others as they grow. It the best way to ensure you get a pair.

Thank you haleybeth! Jacks can be pretty mean.

Really not trying to sound like a jerk but do either of you own Jacks? Many people keep single Jacks in 45s so a 75 is plenty for 2 or 3 and a few other dither fish. I have mine with two fire mouths and they all do just fine.

Jacks aren't that mean in comparison to other New world cichlids. Compare them to Jaguars, Green Terror or Red Festea and they are more docile not that I would put them in with community fish.

Would one dear to put a red tailed black shark in with jds. Always a fish that I love. They r very territorial and my jds spend all there time in hiding. Would be nice to have a fish that I might get to see from time to time

Really not trying to sound like a jerk but do either of you own Jacks? Many people keep single Jacks in 45s so a 75 is plenty for 2 or 3 and a few other dither fish. I have mine with two fire mouths and they all do just fine.

Jacks aren't that mean in comparison to other New world cichlids. Compare them to Jaguars, Green Terror or Red Festea and they are more docile not that I would put them in with community fish.

There is a tendency to be a bit over cellus when it comes to the size of a tank on this site. I must agree with that. I would dear to say that most houses in the UK can't house tanks much over 75g. I dont mean to sound like I do care but there are some keen fish keepers out there who may be put off by always being told that they need a tank the size of an ocean. Just my personal opinion and that's why I don't bother telling people the size of my tank. Anyone with half a brain can look at a tank and you know if it's over crowed. However it's good to know what size fish will get to and I use this site as it's the best there is and people here are very knowledgeable.

There is a tendency to be a bit over cellus when it comes to the size of a tank on this site. I must agree with that. I would dear to say that most houses in the UK can't house tanks much over 75g. I dont mean to sound like I do care but there are some keen fish keepers out there who may be put off by always being told that they need a tank the size of an ocean. Just my personal opinion and that's why I don't bother telling people the size of my tank. Anyone with half a brain can look at a tank and you know if it's over crowed. However it's good to know what size fish will get to and I use this site as it's the best there is and people here are very knowledgeable.

I understand what you are saying but it does matter. I live in the UK and you could fit any tank you wanted in any of the rooms of my house. The recommended tank sizes are there for many many reasons. Water quality deteriation, swimming space, aggression if talking cichlids and more. So theyre in place for a reason. I stand by the shared opinion that if you cant house your fish properly, dont get them.

Yes, I have a JD, Oscar, 4 sevs, a FM, convict pair, jewel, (all juvies except one sev) and 7 peacocks/ haps. For them I have a 125g, a 75g, a 55g, and 30g. Fiance' and I working on a 220g build.. Any other ?s.. It's a matter of providing the best care possible for your pets, the difference between their thriving vs surviving imo. I stand by my words..

I had almost 10 yr old Jack Dempsey recently die, he was in a 55g alone, he was sold to me as a Blue Acara(lol) after I realized he was not a blue acara going to get bigger than I wanted I stepped up filtration and kept excellent water quality( I became really attached). He eventually became a killer and murdered a convict, bichir eel and bushy nose pleco. I think he was happy, he had great coloring but I learned my lesson. No fish over 6" in my 55g from now on, just food for thought, I know 75 is bigger than a 55 but I never imagined he'd get so aggressive, I cried when my bichir was killed, don't want you to be sad either.

Yes I keep 2 pairs of jacks. On pair is electric blue and the other are normal jacks. I keep my electrics in a 75 gallon and my other baby jacks in a 55 gallon tank.

Back
Top Bottom