Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can i make my JD more aggressive he is a little sissy. I got him at the same tome i got my red oscar a year ago the JD was a bit bigger than the oscar but now the oscar is 7in and the JD is 5in and a sissy.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way to make him more aggressive. Is he being bullied by the Oscar? What do you want them to do, fight?

Ya i want to keep it somewhat like that. But the JD rarely shows its good dark colors. And i never see it eating but is still health and fine.

No no lol. No the oscar doesnt pick on him or anything. I dont want them to fight. But the oscar will go after him if he comes up to eat or goes to his territory. But if im cleaning out the tank with the gravel vaccum the oscar will protect the JD and/or go after me. So no the oscar isnt a bully.

I guess I don't see the problem then, sorry, if you could elaborate a bit more that'd be nice. Or maybe I'm just being dense LOL

But from what I understand, he's being attacked when he tries to go to the top for food? But I think its totally normal for ypur JD to be attacked when he enters the Oscars territory.

Well i dont neccesarily mean aggresive. But in terms if you were talking about a human i would say confident like if someone was shy. He always hiding and always has his color really white. He's not sick. But ya thats the word im looking for. How to make him more confident

Oh, ok. Well then my other question is how big is the tank and what are all the inhabitants?

Jds are not really a "glass banger" type fish. Red Devils, jags, dovii, are the types a fish to name a few that have that aggressive attack mentality.

Oscars and jds "can" be nasty but generally are more timid, then the other Sa/Ca out there.

There is no real way to "make" a fish more aggressive, it's either gonna be in its genetics or personality.

Ya srry i was exactly meaning aggresive. I kinda ment more confident like have him swim around the tank more instead if staying in one spot. I would ask if dither fish would help but the oscar kills anything i put in there

Then it's just the Oscar taking the tank as his whole territory, I would say its only gonna get worse as the O pulls away from the JD in size.

It's among a popular thought that a 55g is to small for a Oscar, seeing how they can grow larger then the tank is deep(front to back 12").
Not that the tank is now.. But will be eventually.

At 7" there really isn't much that Oscar won't be able to eat unless you can grow out or buy larger dithers.

I'd say try and find some larger silver dollars. But if its killing off and being aggressive towards other tankmates you might just have a single "wet pet" on your hands.

Well maybe not single. Because ya he is mean to everything except the jack. I bought a firemouth when the oscar was 4in and the fire was 5.5in and it would go after the JD so the oscar killed it. The oscar protects the JD whenever im doing water changes or if the pleco swims at the JD the oscar swims in front of it and flairs his gills. But the JD flares his gills at the pleco too.

Well maybe not single. Because ya he is mean to everything except the jack. I bought a firemouth when the oscar was 4in and the fire was 5.5in and it would go after the JD so the oscar killed it. The oscar protects the JD whenever im doing water changes or if the pleco swims at the JD the oscar swims in front of it and flairs his gills. But the JD flares his gills at the pleco too.

Sounds like your JD is just a wuss! Lol. Just kidding. The Oscar runs the tank so the JD has to be timid or else gets its butt kicked. You may want to consider a 75 or larger for the Oscar and keep the JD in the 55 with some dithers. With both of those big fish in a 55 water changes must be killing you. I have 2 JD that are over 7" in a 55 and I have to do biweekly water changes to keep nitrates in check.

I do 10gallon change every sunday and wednsday. Because i only have on 75gallon rated aqueon filter. But im getting a fluval 306.

I would upgrade the tank to a 125 gallon tank. Add both the oscar and jd then have some dithers like zebra danios or guppies.

Prob a 75 but money is an issue right now. But they get along really well and i went in to check how there doing and the jack was swiming around with the oscar perfectly fine lmao and kept his color even when i was in the room. Im getting a fluval 306 or 406 and it will be filtered properly.

Back
Top Bottom