Jack Dempsey Breeding Behaviour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlidlovers

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 3 Jacks now, 2 are quite large at around 6 inches each and have seemed to pair off. The 3rd hasn't grown nearly as fast and is only about half the size of the others. Anywho the 2 that have paired up have started to rub up against each other and they have claimed half the tank, they also almost seem to kiss each other at times. Is this breeding behaviour? I know that they are egg layers so I have 1 more question. Will my 13 inch Pleco eat the eggs? He always goes into the Jack territory and roots around in their cave. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are seeing cichlid courting with your pair. Jacks can become extremely aggressive and protective at spawning time. Is it your goal to spawn them? I notice you're keeping SA and Africans in the same tank. What pH is the tank now?

The parameters have been off lately, Nitrates are off the charts and PH is low. Heater blew and have not been able to get another one yet..So I have been shuffling the heaters from my other tanks around. They have gotten quite aggresive and as warned have killed off a bunch of my AC's. I am in the process of removing all Africans from this tank :cry: . I am not trying to breed them..I truly have no room to house the babies if this does happen.
If they do breed can I just leave the fry in the 90 gal with the jacks and the pleco?
Any info would be greatly appreciated..
I hate the fact that I am going to only have 4 fish in a 90 gal..but hubby loves these Jacks..

Back
Top Bottom