Jack Dempsey Color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have read that when the dempsey is stressed it turns pale than should go back to the dark color they usually are. Well ever since I have gotten my jack she has never gone back to the dark color. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. She has plenty of hiding spaces and always seems to be in those.

I have read that when the dempsey is stressed it turns pale than should go back to the dark color they usually are. Well ever since I have gotten my jack she has never gone back to the dark color. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. She has plenty of hiding spaces and always seems to be in those.

How long have you had your jack?

At least a year. The water temp is at 76 and ph 8.

I will consider my self lucky then just got mine on Saturday and its beautiful already

So im sitting here doing homework and see that the dempsey is out and about swimming around the tank along with my pleco(which is usually hiding). Could it be something with the lights thats making these two skittish? For the JD if I put in a male would it help? Its a gorgeous fish and I love the colors on her so I would rather see them.

My JD is very shy. Hides pretty much all the time apart from when hungry or to chase my Green Terror away. So think its pretty normal, although mine has never been a pale colour. Colour is always the same.

Sheesh, I wish my jack was a little bit shy he will take fingers off when I try to clean the tank LOL! I've had him 6 yrs

Sheesh, I wish my jack was a little bit shy he will take fingers off when I try to clean the tank LOL! I've had him 6 yrs

Mine is fine with nice slow movements around the tank but any sudden quick movement they shoot off like the tank is on fire. Totally different story come feeding time though. They will jump out the tank when they see the food container coming.

Back
Top Bottom