Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy Jack Dempsey - Disease?

Hi guys,
I am having some issues with my Jack Dempsey. He definitely has some issues. He seems to be breathing a lot heavier/faster than usual. He is also tilting his body up (not hovering in place horizontally if that makes sense).For a little while I thought that he had hole in the head (HITH) disease which (I think) I cleared up with lots of water changes. Last night I witnessed another "knick" on him. He also appears to have white spots on him which at first glance I thought was ICH but I am thinking it is some other kind of parasite. I removed both carbon filters last night and will be doing a large water change tonight when I get home from work (50%+). What do you guys think this is? I attached a few photos below.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Update: I did a 75% water change when I got home from work today. he is still tipped (facing up) in the tank and breathing very heavy. I did not realize how bad the water was as I have not checked it for several months.

Ammonia: 4.0 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ph: 6.0 ppm
tank temperature: 80F

would the poor water conditions explain the reason he is breathing so heavy or should I begin treatment for parasites in his gills? I have a bottle of PraziPro. I will retest the water tomorrow night.

Tags
disease, jack dempsey, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com