Jack Dempsey Owners, SOME ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I never thought that jack dempseys were that interesting, till j saw them at my LFS last week, and I'm starting to think about ditching my community and building a tank around Jack Dempseys. So, a couple questions:
1-how many can I have in a 45 long? I'd like 2
2-would live plants work with them?
3-what else can I have with them? A pleco or 2? Snails? Shrimp?
4-what, how, and how often do you feed them?

All I know is that you can have one in a 45 long. Even though I think they need a 55 so even then...

Well the 45 is only 3 inches shorter than a 55, so u thought that wouldn't be a problem

I thought it was big enough for two, I know my dad kept 2 in a 30 gallon just fine, but that was 23 years ago.

Uhhh no. Two in a 30g isnt okay. They require more room as they're big fish. They also poop like crazy!

I know, I don't agree with it, but I was thinking I could do well with 2 on a 45 if my dad did, ok, with 2 in a 30

Moved to the cichlid section.
So, in order to help people give you good advice, did you happen to do some research about jd's?

Sure two in a 45 would be fine when they're an inch or two long... But they grow fast, eat lots and swim actively. They will most likely uproot live plants even if they don't eat them. They will definitely eat shrimp, and more than likely attack snails, though never when you're watching! Mine is very peaceful with his tank mates (a firemouth and three convicts) but eats or attacks invertebrates. Lol he just refuses to accept snails into his home.

The ones at my LFS are 5 inches, and I understand thru get like 8 inches, correct

I keep 2 in a 55 and both are over 6". They are messy and do uproot all the fake plants I have with them. I do 50% water changes every week and scrub the tank thoroughly during the process. My pair HATE plecos for some reason. they have lived peacefully with tetras and gourami but when I introduced a pleco, they tore him a new one. Next morning woke up to a dead body.
I would try the 2 in a 45 but don't do any tank mates. Check your water regularly and when you see the nitrates getting over 20ppm do a water change. You may end up needing to do bi-weekly water changes if you can't keep the nitrates in check.

Here's a pic of my big male.

Attachments

• image-510457351.jpg
    image-510457351.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 101
If I did one JD, could I have tank mates of any sort?

Snails or shrimp will quickly become a snack so don't try them. You are really limited on tank mates in that 45. What size are the jacks you're looking at now?

They're like 4 inches already at the LFS. I was hoping to have atleast 2 or 3 different fish in the tank. But NOT 2 or 3 JDs. I understand the 2 JDs is too many. But, what else can go in there

Firemouths are nice, pretty cichlids which are peaceful and only get 6" in length (and appear to grow quite slowly in my experience)

If I did one JD, could I have tank mates of any sort?

I had an electric blue jack Dempsey when i was new to the hobby.. In my experience,, ( different with others) my pleco was great with him.. My pleco was a some what giant but they never bothered each other... Also that was in a 55 gallon.. Thru can grow 12 inches easy.. Take into consideration the electric blues not only look way cooler in my opinion but they are supposed to be less aggressive.. I read in tropical fish hobby magazine... Don't poor anything that can't get at least half his size grown because matter of time before he gets eaten..( some exceptions) if you had a bigger tank you could have a lot more options... When i was just getting started with my first fish and tank i had a similar size with 2 Oscars which are about the same size and a big pleco,, not knowing arguing about the fish really and not doing any research on the fish which its crucial they quickly outgrew the tank and if i missed a water change which was 50 percent every week i would pay for it.. I learned from that so please don't make the same mistake.... Check out craigs list,, lots of big tanks for great deals... If you truly want Dempsey s you should upgrade... Green terrors i hear are good with them in big enough tank,, they each need territories of there own... I would think Oscars would be good with then considering they are both big and aggressive... Remember these fish see referred to as tank busters because they get huge easily hitting 12 inches..

They're like 4 inches already at the LFS. I was hoping to have atleast 2 or 3 different fish

Honestly, it's a big gamble at this point. At 4" they will already be kinda feisty. I think you should buy 3-4 of the jacks at you lfs, watch them until you see a pair form and then return the remaining jacks to the store for credit. Since they are already acclimated to each other now the chances if them coexisting in your tank are much greater. Watching my pair is quite enjoyable. Please watch water conditions and if you can get a bigger tank in the future move them over to it.

Back
Top Bottom