Jack dempsey pair in a 50 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidthinker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking of buying a 50 gallon tank (i know how to cycle) and i have a couple of questions :

1st. Would a jack dempsey pair be alright alone for this aquarium ?

2nd. Would a 1 male and 2 female ratio be better ? Or just the pair?

3rd. Do i need to buy another aquarium for their fry?

4th. Do they still try to reproduce even if the tank would be swarming with fry ?

5th. How good of a filter do i need ? (gallons per hour)

6th. Do they need hiding places ?

7th. If i would not get a pair could i get 2 males ? 3?

8th. Any fish that would be compatible with the pair or 2 males ?

9.is sand substrate ok?

10th. Does it matter if i would add 1 male first then the female? Or should i add both at the same time ?

Thats all ! Sorry for the question overload but do please help :)

Any tips appreciated !

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

JD grows fairly large for this size tank. I wouldn't keep more than one to a 50 gal, personally. If you want a pair, I would recommend something smaller like the firemouth pair I mentioned in your other thread... Something like Cryptoheros cutteri (there are others in this genus that would work) would be cool if you don't like the firemouths.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I am thinking of buying a 50 gallon tank (i know how to cycle) and i have a couple of questions :

1st. Would a jack dempsey pair be alright alone for this aquarium ?

2nd. Would a 1 male and 2 female ratio be better ? Or just the pair?

3rd. Do i need to buy another aquarium for their fry?

4th. Do they still try to reproduce even if the tank would be swarming with fry ?

5th. How good of a filter do i need ? (gallons per hour)

6th. Do they need hiding places ?

7th. If i would not get a pair could i get 2 males ? 3?

8th. Any fish that would be compatible with the pair or 2 males ?

9.is sand substrate ok?

10th. Does it matter if i would add 1 male first then the female? Or should i add both at the same time ?

Thats all ! Sorry for the question overload but do please help :)

Any tips appreciated !

Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro1_267 using Tapatalk

2. If you can find a paired JD couple that would be best. Never more than one male.
3.You will need a nursery/growout tank for JD fry. A couple weeks after birth, the Dad JD will want them outta there....which brings me to...
4. After about 6 weeks the Dad JD will try to kill off the remaining babies so they can start the spawning prep and process all over again.
6. They do need hiding places and spawning places. I use slate tilted to a 45° angle for spawning places.
8.I have a variety of south american cichlids with mine. They all get along, but when they spawn, the JD parents get protective.
9.Sand is best! They can bury and toss and hide the fry in it.

Hope any of this helps! I currently have paired and spawning JDs. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• 1400633888584.jpg
    1400633888584.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 91
Back
Top Bottom