Jack Dempsey seems depressed since tank mate died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaimeEB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I originally had just one 55g tank and wanted African cichlids, but eventually I ended up with two JDs and one 6" pink convict. I've had the Dempseys since they were just over an inch. I set up another 55g for my African cichlids a few months ago and my two female Dempseys about 4"+ each and the pink convict with a pleco had the original 55 to themselves. I gave the lesser female Dempsey to the lfs because I didn't need her and she was getting picked on. Well the tank dynamic was great with just the Dempsey, convict and pleco until our convict died suddenly, about 4 weeks ago! I don't know how old he was because he came with our aquarium (bought from another fish lover) and lived in some seriously cramped conditions before we got him. Unfortunately since his untimely death, my Dempsey Camila, just hides, and immediately dashes for cover anytime I approach the tank, even when feeding. I decided that maybe some dither fish would help her come out of her proverbial shell and immediately started doing some research online. I was looking for some central/south American schooling fish but mostly came up with guppies and mollies which are too small and i wasn't really all that interested in the others that were a bit larger. I eventually went with a small school of emerald or moss barbs. There are six of those and two rosy barbs that my son wanted. They seem to be enjoying their new surroundings and did a little fighting in the beginning to establish their pecking order, to which Camila would dash out and break up the bunch. But now she's back to hiding. It's only been four days, but she at least comes out now during feeding times. Is it just too soon to tell if it's working? I'm wondering if maybe I should return the barbs and get another large cichlid like a terror or another convict. What do you guys think? I went with the barbs because of their size, and they can also be semi aggressive in a school.

I'm not particularly fond of tetras either, and I was wrong about the size of my jd's. They were closer to 3" when I moved the African Cichlids, and my lone female is now 4"+.

Back
Top Bottom