Jack Dempsey with Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haymaker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393189406.641931.jpg

So a few weeks ago went to my neighbors house and they were foreclosed on and moving to an apartment. They had this jack Dempsey in a dilapidated tank and he was very sickly. He was going to flush him, so I decided to take him. After nursing him in my small hospital tank he has been in my African tank as it's the only large tank I have. My question is so far he is thriving in the tank. My question is I know you are not supposed to mix but he seems to be doing so well I'm wondering if it will last.

im no expert on the African lake cichlids, but i think you might get away with it,

For the time being anyway. What size is the tank?

In a 100g it may work, I would just keep an eye on him if it goes wrong rehome

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a JD in my 75g African tank and it's about 8 inches long and I don't have any problems but I'm kinda waiting for the day when I do and he's gone. But he's been in there for about 2 years and I got him when he was about 1.5 inches

I don't think it's going to work out forever one day tempers will flare and the Africans might just hang up and kill him. I would try to get a hold of a 55 gallon for your jack on craigslist they are pretty cheap. You can get a full setup with everything around 100 bucks.

I had two dempsey's in with africans and it went wrong lost one fish and had to rehome the other. I could just of been the other end of the scale. Good luck with what ever you decide to do

Parky

I have my jack in a mixed cichlid tank for over 2 years and all is well! I think the key is to make sure that he is larger than any of your more aggressive fish. My jack is 10", I have a chilotilapia rhoadesii that's 7" and a hypsophrys nicaraguensis thats 8"��

I have a JD with peacocks and that works but I wouldn't put with Mbuna. The problem with your mix is the JD and mbuna will compete for the same tank space. Since he is larger the mbuna might stay away but if they decide not to the JDwill kill them. JD's typically aren't aggressors but will not tolerate being harassed as mbuna are used to doing in their pecking order.

Thanks everyone for the responses. You pretty much reinforced my thoughts. After nursing him back to health I couldn't stand to get rid of him so as of right now I have a new 55 gallon set up and as soon as it cycles my boy will have a new permanent home!

Good job I think everyone will be happier for it, including you.

Back
Top Bottom