Jade-eyed cichlid eye-colour change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobstertrician

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've made an interesting observation regarding eye-colour changes in the jade eyed cichlid, Cryptoheros spilurus. Both my male and female (Frank and Nancy: you work it out) have the classic shiny-blue eyes until breeding time. The moment the female lays her eggs, her eyes turn an obvious golden colour, and she starts to guard the cave entrance. The male continues to roam around the tank, feeding as usual, until the eggs hatch, at which time his eyes also turn golden and he commences guard duties too. This occurred in a community tank, and the moment the last fry was eaten by the other fish (about 5 days later) both parents reverted to blue eyes. This has happened at every breeding cycle. Has anyone else made this observation? I can speculate that it's hormone mediated, and either is a redundant side-effect, or a signal to each other that they are on the job. It certainly makes it easy for me to know what stage of laying/hatching/guarding they are at in a heavily planted tank. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom