Jaguar cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
i had a jaguar cichlid pair both was around 5-6 inches but female was bit smaller.. and after about 3 mionths together the male killed the female does anyone know why ?? or have any ideas

thanks

He was ready to spawn and she wasn't, unfortunately that's fairly common with large aggressive cichlids. It's always a good idea to use a divider when keeping males and females together in tank, what size tank were they in?

the tank was 48inches x 18 inches . with plenty of rocks .. wioll the male pair again if i get another female ??

He will if she's not ready to spawn, like I said get a divider then add the female. This was they can see each other for a few weeks, remove the divider for a short time then place it back for a few weeks. Keep doing this for a while to see how they interact.

ok thanks . they spawned before but they ate the eggs not long after do you know the reason .. ok i will try what you have suggested thanks alot.. once the eggs have been layed should i keep th eparents waya from them ?? by putting another divider in the tank or leave them with the eggs ?

It's common for the first few times they spawn for the eggs to get eaten, normally takes them a couple of times to get the hang of it.

I use the divider for introducing new fish, after a month or two you can normally remove it. But remember even with a pair that's been together for years can turn and kill the other, it's one of the risks we take for keeping fish like this.

Back
Top Bottom