Jaguar cichlid sex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Foskett96

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello. I have a jaguar cichlid in my ca/sa 250 gallon community tank that is about 8.5-9 inches long and im wondering if anyone could sex it for me. I believe it is a female due to the lack of a lot of dots on the gill plates and body. But I have also been told that it is a male. Thank sImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460014863.558461.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460014893.644853.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460014915.213965.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say it's a male, due the the dark color and mottled pattern. In my experience, females are much paler with less mottling. In this, however, as in many things, I could be wrong. It's a beautiful fish.

I would say it's a male, due the the dark color and mottled pattern. In my experience, females are much paler with less mottling. In this, however, as in many things, I could be wrong. It's a beautiful fish.

Thank you for the response. I always though though that makes had much smaller and a much greater amount of spots?

And when I search for make Jaguars online if confirms but theory. But idk he just seems to look different to other male Jaguars imo

Well, consider that fish are like people: they rarely adhere to a "species standard." If you want a better opinion though, get the best pics you can and take them to a LFS. Most LFS will have at least one cichlid "expert" working there. If it turns out to be female, please let me know. Don't worry; I've been married 3 times. I'm used to being wrong.

Back
Top Bottom