jaguar cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andyjy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi i have just came into posession of 2 jaguar cichlids they are around 3 inches long. they were feeding vigorously on mealworm in the petshop however in my tank they have failed to eat and have spent most of their time diggin around in a snake cave,

i do not know anything of these fish exept some info ive read this morning mostly looking for any advice tips etc. firstly what should i be feeding them at 3 inches long

any help or advice is appreciated :)

they are not eating the mealworm immediately will they come out the cave and find them on the gravel or do i need remove the uneaten mealworms ??

They get massive in size, 15+ inches. Are super aggressive and if they are a mating pair it's even worse. Sinking pellets are a great food source if they will take it. As well as frozen bloodworms/shrimp.

As adults they are absolutely stunning fish. But again will require a very large tank. 100+ gals.

Good luck with them. I have kept jags several different times. They are great fish if you are into aggressive fish.

They get massive in size, 15+ inches. Are super aggressive and if they are a mating pair it's even worse. Sinking pellets are a great food source if they will take it. As well as frozen bloodworms/shrimp.

As adults they are absolutely stunning fish. But again will require a very large tank. 100+ gals.

Good luck with them. I have kept jags several different times. They are great fish if you are into aggressive fish.

x100

They are big fish, need big tanks, lots of filtration.

ta for replies but they still aint eatin n if they dont eat they aint gona get any bigger :(

Try soaking their food in garlic.... It it proven to fish to eat... It also helps heal if there's something wrong. Maybe leave your light off for a day or two....

How big of a tank do you have? Also..what are you trying to feed them? Most fish won't eat for a while when they first get a new home.

I hope you know what you got yourself into though, one jag needs 125g tank. You must have a very big tank for these fish.

mmm garlic sounds like a good idea ta :) 100 gallon tank i know its to small but i will grow them as much as i can then give them back to the petshop i did look at a 250 gallon but at 1200 quid its outa my price range :( . i have been feeding them mealworms i think they ate last night as there is no mealworms on the gravel this mornin :) aye a left the lights off as thats what the guy in the petshop said he said for me to give them a week with no lights on as they will explore the tank in the dark. thanks again for input much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom