Jaguar cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRcichlids

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys/gals,

just bought 2 4 inch jaguar cichlids not sure on sex but maybe you guys could tell me the best way to sex these. i know how to sex most cichlids but not too sure about these guys. i cant post pics till this evening sorry.

Hi guys/gals,

just bought 2 4 inch jaguar cichlids not sure on sex but maybe you guys could tell me the best way to sex these. i know how to sex most cichlids but not too sure about these guys. i cant post pics till this evening sorry.

4 inches is still a little small to sex but males generally have more brown spots and more of a purple, green, and/or blue tint to their fins and body. Also, once my male Jag hit around 6 inches he completely lost his vertical bars. Females usually, but not all the time, won't have many spots below their horizontal line and their stomachs seem to be a little more rounded. Can still be tricky sometimes though because I've seen quite a few larger jags that you'd swear were males but end up being female. Here's my 8 inch male for comparison if it helps any...

ForumRunner_20131102_043959.jpg

Back
Top Bottom