Jaw looks funny...??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
My M. Estherae's (a type of african cichlid i think) jaw looks funny.. More squarish than usual. Is this normal?

image-3456240116.jpg

image-4134808349.jpg

Sorry if the photos are bad..she wouldn't stay very still. So i only got a few good ones.

Im having the same thing woth an aratus of
Mine. A lot (if not all) african civhlids are mouth brooders; meaning that SHE is carrying eggs in her mouth. If there are other fish in the tank theres a good chance you will find
Babies in there eventually. Try to separate them when you see them. Idealy a 10 gallon aquarium with the same water thats in your current tank. You might notice the fish isnt eating wich is totally normal; my aratus tries to eat but it doesnt really work, If the eggs arent fertile she will eventually swallow them. You COULD take them out yourself if you really know what your doing but personally i wouldnt reccomend it unless the fishes life was at risk because of it which isnt very common.
Good luck keep a close eye out.

Worst case senerio; theres a piece of gravel in HIS mouth and he will get it out overnight..... Lol

It is a red zebra and I agree with jacob but if you leave her in her tank and don't do anything you probably won't get fry. Probably 1 if you lucky. A 5-10G helps with fry she can spit in it or be stripped. It's ok if her batch doesn't make it the first time it's normal :/ If there is a male in there it probably is holding. The signs are hiding ,not eating , and swollen jaw. Sometimes you can see eggs in Her mouth

Thanks guys! That's really cool! But I don't have a male red zebra. :( I only have a male blood parrot. And he doesn't like her so I seperated them a while back.

smileyface9 said:
Thanks guys! That's really cool! But I don't have a male red zebra. :( I only have a male blood parrot. And he doesn't like her so I seperated them a while back.

Then the eggs probably arent fertile and she will swallow them eventually. even IF the blood parrot mated
With the zebra (impossible) blood parrots are sterile anyway.

Jacobsal91 said:
Then the eggs probably arent fertile and she will swallow them eventually. even IF the blood parrot mated
With the zebra (impossible) blood parrots are sterile anyway.

Yeah :( which is a bummer isn't it? Most are sterile..i heard only 10% aren't sterile. A couple weeks ago my blood parrots laid eggs, but my catfish got to them before I could protect them. Oh well.

Jacobsal91 said:
They are a cross breed between a red devil and a gold severum. U can always breed those :)

Yeah I'd love to breed those! Can I cross my blood parrot with another gold severum or green severum? And where could I get one that's young, but breedable? I would need a male.

Why would you want to breed a hybrid with a pure specimen and make an even bigger abomination?

5x5 said:
Why would you want to breed a hybrid with a pure specimen and make an even bigger abomination?

I've heard it's possible to cross them if you don't have anyone to fertilize the eggs. They may be human made, but if ppl just cross dogs what's the difference? I can't force them to cross. If they cross they cross. If they don't they don't.

absolutangel04 said:
The hybridization is a topic best left for a different thread since it is off topic on this one. I suggest reading: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/hybridizing-thoughts-and-should-i-208417.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/breeding-salvinis-with-firemouths-207805.html
if you want to get a few opinions about it and feel free to start a thread asking our hybrid questions if you would like to.

Thank you, because I really don't want to fight about this.

smileyface9 said:
Yeah I'd love to breed those! Can I cross my blood parrot with another gold severum or green severum? And where could I get one that's young, but breedable? I would need a male.

Not a good idea, Ive never tried it im not a new world cichlid expert, but, breeding a hybrid with a 'purebred' could possibly create some genetic problems. Im not sure if it would even work but if it does im not sure what exactly you would get.. Seems a bit risky

Jacobsal91 said:
Not a good idea, Ive never tried it im not a new world cichlid expert, but, breeding a hybrid with a 'purebred' could possibly create some genetic problems. Im not sure if it would even work but if it does im not sure what exactly you would get.. Seems a bit risky

Good point. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom