JD always looks full...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niki86

Aquarium Advice Activist
As my JD is still young I do not skimp on food (trying to get a healthy well grown JD) I try to vary the food offered and feed at least twice a day.

In between feeding I know she is snacking on the snail Buffett, I'm constantly clean out empty shells.

Her belly always looks full, she acts normal and is still eating(obviously). But I was wondering if her belly always looking full is a bad thing? Am I feeding too much?

I've had her for about a month, and she is about 3" (that is a guess without measuring) so I'm not sure of her age.

No I don't, I have read about cucumber but I'm not 100 percent sure on how to blanch it, also do I feed some along with regular food or just the veggies? (I ask about cucumber bc that's what I have at the moment, no peas, will they do the same?)

Not sure if it would work for JD's(never kept one), but my Blue Rams, eat peas once a week to help with digestion. I use frozen unseasoned peas or peas from a mixed veggie bag, place them in a bowl of water to thaw a bit, then put in microwave for 20 seconds(bowl of water with peas in them). Then I pinch the shells off of the peas, let them cool and place in the tank.
I use frozen only, no preservatives!

Would cucumber do the same as peas?? Do I feed a small amount of cucumber in addition to the normal feeding? Or skip the feeding and only feed cucumber?

Would cucumber do the same as peas?? Do I feed a small amount of cucumber in addition to the normal feeding? Or skip the feeding and only feed cucumber?

Hey Niki, cucumber should be fine, and I would do everything the same as I said with the peas, less the thawing. You may scrape the seeds out as they tend to go all over in the water! You may also need to anchor it down. I use plant anchors but have seen folks stick a fork through it and drop it to the the bottom.
I would try it by itself first, but if no interest is shown, I have heard sticking a shrimp pellet or cube of tubi-flex into it, will help. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the suggestions, he ate a small piece(about the size of three pellets) and bloodworms today. I'm going to feed him small pieces each day for three days and see how that works :)

He seem to accept it pretty well, prettying much anything that hits the water goes into his mouth, he chewed it spit it out a couple of time but ate it within a minute.

My JD Is still fat!!!! How much should she be eating a day? I would guess she eats 2-4 shrimp pellets (she will see them sinking and gobble them up) and ten I would say she eat 7-15 cichlid pellets....and them god knows how many snails....she is still young but she looks as though she is going to bust!!

Hey i need a pretty lady JD for my hansom Male. could be feeding her to much cut back and see how she looks after this weekend. U know how much u feed cut it back by 1/3 or so. U have a good mix of food so give it a try.

Good idea! I'll try that tomorrow for a few days....can you post a pic of your male?

It's very hard to not feed her when I want her to grow big and colorful!

Good idea! I'll try that tomorrow for a few days....can you post a pic of your male?

It's very hard to not feed her when I want her to grow big and colorful!

I know the feeling but power feeding is a risky thing and its easy to over feed. As long as shes getting a good balanced nutritional food she will grow big and have vivid coloring. Ya ill take a pic, have to wait till tomorrow tho its already lights out for the tanks.

Your right, I don't want to do any harm.

So I do have a question, when people say to allow a fish to eat x amount of food in two mins, I assume it does not apply when feeding three times a day?

Ya i only feed my fish what they can eat in like 30-45 seconds, twice a day morning and night every tank. I also mix it up with frozen shrimp and blood worms now and then maybe 2-3 times a week instead of pellets that meal.

Back
Top Bottom