Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Jd fry

Ok I am learning the hard way here. Late last month my JD laid loads of eggs which all hatched. After a few days they became free swimming. Now I also have an oscar in the tank who started to show an interest in a free meal. As a resualt he got a pounding so to restore peace In the tank I decided to take the fry out and place them in my grower tank. About 50 fry remained with the parents. Peace was restored.
The fry seemed to die off rather fast but the ones still with the parents were looking good and growing slightly. My LFS suggested I take all fry out before parents start eating them so I have the fry are about 1cm now and I am feeding small amounts 4 times a day and 10% water change every day.
Have I done the right thing? Should I have left them with mum and dad? What age are they ready to go it alone? What sort of groth rate shohld I expect.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once they are free swimming it is ok to remove from the parents. If they are dying off in the grow tank I would assume there is something wrong with the water chemistry or the way you transitioned them.

I wouldn't worry about the parents cannibalizing. The parents are good with fry. I would temp rehome the oscar if you can.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com