JD or RD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aski247

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I just upgraded to a 75g. Problem is I have both a JD, and now saved a RD from my buddy's tank.(couldn't say no :/ ugh...)

So after doing a lot of research I fully know what to expect from the RD as well as know I can not keep both in this tank for life. My problem is... Which fish will I enjoy long term. I personally like the single fish tanks as I feel you bond with them individually more so then a community tank. That being said which fish do y'all feel have more personality, and would I be able to interact with more?

Thanks. Andrew.

Sorry just noticed I never said the actual fish names. Yes I was talking about a Jack Dempsey , and a Red Devil.

Again thanks.

Attachments

• image-757924875.jpg
    image-757924875.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2325367507.jpg
    image-2325367507.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 130
The Red Devil will have ten times the personality of a Jack Dempsey, it's the difference in having a conversation with Albert Einstein or a rock. Fish when kept alone will have a better reaction to your presence over a fish that can be distracted by tankmates. I personally don't care for single fish tanks but the RD gets my vote.

I know RD are notoriously mean fish, but 75 Gallon seems like a pretty big tank for a single fish of that size. Is there nothing else you have found that would be compatible or are you pretty set on a single fish tank?

You could likely do a pleco with the RD.

I'm actually not a fan of pleco's due to the huge bio load. But I do have a Senegal bichir in my 30g I thought I'd put him in with. With many hiding spaces. And that would free up my 30 for a breeding pair of cons I'm thinking. 

That could work. What are you going to do with the JD? That's a nice fish, too bad you don't have a place for him.

Yeah it's a shame, I have a great LFS, here where I live that I can trade him back to. I get a third in store credit for whatever they sell him for. He would essentially just pay for some filters and food for a few months haha.

I know, I really do like the Dempsey. He is very colorful and still under 6inches. I have had him since Jan/feb. This year and... Named him after my fav. Shot! Haha. I hate killians... I drink bud light lime for crying out loud. :::sigh::: why can't I just hit the mega millions. 

My EBJD tends to be like that if anyone gets near the tank. He's very timid. The females are also timid like that unless they are in breeding dress. The big males don't seem to be afraid of anything though.

RD for personilty wise and JD for looks, i acutally just got a jd yesterday, about 4 inches, well see where this takes us lol. i would personally do jd with maybe either a convict or firemouth or both as tankmates ( thats what im doing, convict/firemouth/jack tank )

Back
Top Bottom