Jessica's 110g Malawi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
Mine is planted aswell

What do you think about the sw sump? I edited my post to show pictures. Of course I need to clean it up and remove the partitions and use fresh silicon... I could even customize it more....

AndrewsPistol said:
What do you think about the sw sump? I edited my post to show pictures. Of course I need to clean it up and remove the partitions and use fresh silicon... I could even customize it more....

Also need to change the top to fit 2 overflow intake thingy's lol. Here is another good question haha... If the sw sump was designed to handle a 2in PVC overlow would the pump that came with it handle my 2 1in overflows??? Hmmmm sounds about right to me but then again that's too easy lol... I'm using pvc ball valves on both overflows so I could totally reduce flow if needed.

Andrew McFadden said:
Are you using it as your main filtration? Or just to help reduce nitrate

Definitely keep trAtes in check but also as a supplement filter. Both AC 110's are moving over with it.

Andrew McFadden said:
It looks like you have 3 trays then the egg crate right?

Welllll it's kinda falling apart... But yes 3 of them are drilled and slotted the last one I believe is just slotted... Do I want a bigger aquarium or tote for this... This looks tiny compared to the picture in my head haha!!!

Attachments

• image-2498671963.jpg
    image-2498671963.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 140
I don't know what size tank it is but it looks fine. If it was me I'd have at the top 1 drip plate and put filter floss on top of it. Raise the bottom one up some like half way from where it is to the next silicone piece above that. From the inside edge of that I'd add a piece of glass coming up ten inchs or so so the water has to come down then flow over into the planted section. This will keep the water height and the substrate for the planted tanks in. On the other end add a piece of glass a little lower then the one on the other side so the water flows over into the sump but keeps the substrate out of the sump area. So it will only need to be a little bigger then the pump itself.

Andrew McFadden said:
I don't know what size tank it is but it looks fine. If it was me I'd have at the top 1 drip plate and put filter floss on top of it. Raise the bottom one up some like half way from where it is to the next silicone piece above that. From the inside edge of that I'd add a piece of glass coming up ten inchs or so so the water has to come down then flow over into the planted section. This will keep the water height and the substrate for the planted tanks in. On the other end add a piece of glass a little lower then the one on the other side so the water flows over into the sump but keeps the substrate out of the sump area. So it will only need to be a little bigger then the pump itself.

Brilliant! I'm plugging the dimensions in on it right now, curious to know how big it is....

Yea... It's like 34 g wierd tank lol I didn't even know they make em that size :)

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
See how mine only has 1 drip plate and on top of that It's all floss.

Totally! I definitely planned on a good amount of floss to catch debris. Is Urs acrylic with a tower? Freakin jealous!!! Wanted to get one like that.... Seen a guy building ridiculously awesome ones on YouTube :)

I need to get the title of this thread changed.. It's misleading as I have a larger one...

If you went with a big tote I would thing it would be hard to silicone anything to it. Since they are not hard and when full of water it will press out.

Andrew McFadden said:
If you went with a big tote I would thing it would be hard to silicone anything to it. Since they are not hard and when full of water it will press out.

Ohhh yea dang... I forgot they bow... Ughhh. Just wanted something bigger and a lil more BA. Lol.

Andrew McFadden said:
If you want to save this for the salt tank what.other snot tanks do you have?

Nothing really, I had to get em runnin :(I moved the fry over to a new grow out location because I have another batch due in like.... Oh I'd say about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks?! And I don't want them eaten cuz I'm trading for sw supplies... Anyways, once the other guys move over to the 150 ill have an empty 55 but I really wanted to go Tanganyikan in it... Maybe I'll get on Craigslist after wc's and see what I can come up with.... I get paid tomorrow :) but I know I'm getting a ro/di unit from BRS cuz I joined a group buy :D

Last edited:
I don't know if you have the space height or not but you could take the idea of the 3 tier shelf idea and set it on top of a tank. Then drill holes in all the shelves to make like trays. So then it will drain into the tank that will hold more water ( less chance of overflow) and it will leave more room for plants.

Andrew McFadden said:
I don't know if you have the space height or not but you could take the idea of the 3 tier shelf idea and set it inflow of a tank drill holes in all the shelves to male like trays. So then it will drain into the tank that will hold more water and it will leave more room for plants.

See that's exactly where I was going with the drawer idea... Hmmm this is getting serious lol. I even found myself wondering where I could get plexi glass... Then I was like how the heck would I cut it??? Lol!

Back
Top Bottom