Jessica's 110g Malawi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
See that's exactly where I was going with the drawer idea... Hmmm this is getting serious lol. I even found myself wondering where I could get plexi glass... Then I was like how the heck would I cut it??? Lol!

Home depot carry it and they will cut it to size aswell.

AndrewsPistol said:
Get outta here! That's wayyyy too easy lol!

I know right Haha that's how I did it and killed two birds with one stone. While I was there I picked up the silicone I needed to put it all together. ;) piece of cake

Andrew McFadden said:
I know right Haha that's how I did it and killed two birds with one stone. While I was there I picked up the silicone I needed to put it all together. ;) piece of cake

Geez I reallllly wish I woulda known about that last Friday... I woulda went the extra 25miles to go there instead if the place I went to... They didn't have everything I wanted so I had to settle for what would work. Ugh.

52693-albums10054-picture41409.jpg

52693-albums10054-picture41410.jpg

52693-albums10054-picture41411.jpg

Yes! See I need to fabricate somekind of tower! I got some extra glass I'm gonna try to use because I spent all my extra money on some KILLER lights :) they are freaking amazing :):):)

AndrewsPistol said:
Yes! See I need to fabricate somekind of tower! I got some extra glass I'm gonna try to use because I spent all my extra money on some KILLER lights :) they are freaking amazing :):):)

3 of these bad dudes for the new tank :) couldn't resist setting one up on the 55g to try it out lol.

Attachments

• image-2572216620.jpg
    image-2572216620.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 124
  • image-2952795521.jpg
    image-2952795521.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 125
Andrew McFadden said:
Nice I almost bought those last week while they was on sale at petsmart ;)

They still are apparently cuz that's where I got mine on sale lol :) they are AMAZING!!! The pic do them zero justice. They make the water "shimmer" if you will :) overflows almost complete :) just getting around to drilling the caps and the elbows for the check valves!

A little tiny sneak peek :) my living room is like a Fishtank graveyard lol. Tanks, tanks filled with parts, lights... U name it haha!!

Attachments

• image-150562376.jpg
    image-150562376.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 133
AndrewsPistol said:
A little tiny sneak peek :) my living room is like a Fishtank graveyard lol. Tanks, tanks filled with parts, lights... U name it haha!!

Yea... that picture sucked haha! Couple better ones after I got the holes drilled in the caps :) not that these are really "better" lol. iPhones suck!

Attachments

• image-520040758.jpg
    image-520040758.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 107
  • image-418868125.jpg
    image-418868125.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 108
  • image-1764499418.jpg
    image-1764499418.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 121
WOW, This looks really well done, again, a good example of hard work, doing research, asking the questions in the forum, will pay you back with a great project for your next tank

ejaramillo01 said:
WOW, This looks really well done, again, a good example of hard work, doing research, asking the questions in the forum, will pay you back with a great project for your next tank

Thanks! Worked hard on it ;) pulled the sump apart last night too, gonna try to redesign it and get it back together and see if it all works! So excited to get it up and running! 3d background starts today too!

Momma was tired and hiding today... That's how she tells me she's ready :) 30 more baby-loves as I affectionately call them lol.

Attachments

• image-2046364700.jpg
    image-2046364700.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 141
AndrewsPistol said:
Momma was tired and hiding today... That's how she tells me she's ready :) 30 more baby-loves as I affectionately call them lol.

This is really cool. Now you know even the behavior of your fish .

ejaramillo01 said:
This is really cool. Now you know even the behavior of your fish .

She is ridiculously tame :) I don't even need a net to get her out she just lets me grab her. I can even check her to see how far she is if I need to, not at all like my Mbuna (she's a Vic). I honestly don't even keep track of her spawns anymore, she tells me when she's ready for the babies to be out... She wants to eat! Haha! She once held for 36 days... Think she was waiting to be stripped!? She's like clockwork too, she'll hold again in 4-6 weeks or so :)

Annakhil said:
Do you raise and sell the babies?

I do :)

Sump is tore apart... Ok so I've decided on this:

Slot 1 & 2: filter floss. Isn't there like canvas I can use? I'd like to do slot one like a canvas material & slot 2 the stuffing kind

Slot 3: bio balls... Ordered 3 gallons... Is that enough? Chamber underneath: AC sponges & more balls... Thinking about the ceramic plate they sell on BRS for biomedia... Then I need to partition that chamber off so water flows over the blockade into the planted portion of the tank where I will also store my heaters... Or should I keep the heaters in the main?

Then make a box for the pump... How's that sound??? Legit???

Attachments

• image-4011370088.jpg
    image-4011370088.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 121
  • image-534363549.jpg
    image-534363549.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 107
AndrewsPistol said:
I do :)

Sump is tore apart... Ok so I've decided on this:

Slot 1 & 2: filter floss. Isn't there like canvas I can use? I'd like to do slot one like a canvas material & slot 2 the stuffing kind

Slot 3: bio balls... Ordered 3 gallons... Is that enough? Chamber underneath: AC sponges & more balls... Thinking about the ceramic plate they sell on BRS for biomedia... Then I need to partition that chamber off so water flows over the blockade into the planted portion of the tank where I will also store my heaters... Or should I keep the heaters in the main?

Then make a box for the pump... How's that sound??? Legit???

Sounds good to me you can try putting the heaters in the sump. I had to move mine up to the main. The temp would fluctuated 10-20 degrees this time a year in the main tank not the sump. These plant really come in handy let me tell you. I've been struggling to get the trates down even after 3-4 water changes a day. I turned the sump off along time ago because the wife would yell about the electric bill. Oh well that's a different story. Ok back on track so I turned it back on and now the trates are going down slowly by them selves. Where I would clean clean and clean and it would jump right back to being blood red on the test kit within a few hours. Can we say amazing ;)

Back
Top Bottom