jewel cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustypleco

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. I have attached a picture of my female jewel.

Was wondering if anyone thinks shes fat? Maybe getting ready to spawn?

I only bought them 4 days ago. I bought 1 male n 2 females. Asyou can see in picture. The female with the larger belly is always near the male.

I have also seen the male shaking infront of the female? Not sure if this is the case with these but i know yellow labs do it to impress/attract.

Your opinions please and thank you

Picture not great. Was taken on phone will get better one soon

ForumRunner_20120205_001103.jpg

Well I was righy. They have spawned tonight. Anyone with exsperiance? Could do with some help

rustypleco said:
Well I was righy. They have spawned tonight. Anyone with exsperiance? Could do with some help

I have 1 jewel, so for curiosity sake keep us posted!

Flipmikeskater3 said:
I just got a jewel a couple days ago, I need realized

*i never realized how pretty they are till now, may have to get another and try to breed them sometime, let me know how it works for you

Well I woke up this morning cant see no eggs so they been moved or eaten. But is first time they spawned so there still learning.

Im also having to get rid of the females as they seem to fight alot since theyve paid up

Its hard for them to deal with everything with other fish around. Sometimes out of sure fright they will eat the eggs, or they can be no good and they will eat them. Just give them sometime you dont know if its the first time or tenth. I would try to keep them seperate from any other fish if you really want to breed them, Are they taking over a certain part of the tank??

i love my jewels

i have 6 pair of them and they are verrrrry prity i just love the colors. any way mine were eating the eggs every time so i started taking out what ever they laid eggs on and put them in a tank with methylene blue in it to keep the fungus off the eggs and now i have 3oo babys . or just leave them in the tank . make shure there is no plecos or snails in the tank cause they will eat the eggs. good luck and i will be glad to help anytime..

This was going to be my next point, can always remove the eggs. Allot of good advice And the methylene blue is also good advice, look the stuff up.

i have 6 pair of them and they are verrrrry prity i just love the colors. any way mine were eating the eggs every time so i started taking out what ever they laid eggs on and put them in a tank with methylene blue in it to keep the fungus off the eggs and now i have 3oo babys . or just leave them in the tank . make shure there is no plecos or snails in the tank cause they will eat the eggs. good luck and i will be glad to help anytime..

Few questions for.you bob

If i take lets say slate out of the tank to put in to another tank will they die?

How long after they spawned will they do.it again?

I have a small 40ltr tank. Would it be better to.put the breeding pair in there to see.if they will spawn better on there own.as.it will be.less.stress where there will be no.other fish

mine spawn every week. the eggs will live just move them fast. yes my pair are in there own tank and they do a lot better

yes after about the third spawn they are. i just pull the eggs out and hatch them so i make shure they dont eat them. its up to the individual how they want to do it. i lost the first 4 batches of eggs du to them eating them so this is my own preference.mabe ill leave the next batch in there and see what happens who knows.

mine are in 10 gallon tanks . one pair per tank. i no some say thats to small but mine do great that way. i do water changes on them 2 times a week. and use spong filters

a few fake plants and some kind of real floating plant . mine have layed on half clay pots and some tan and grey flat rocks. also a fake log for them to hide in. it may sound funny but i found some 5 inch round white plastic rock caves at the lfs and all my cichlids love laying eggs on them.

Back
Top Bottom