Jewel cichlid breeding tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
not sure on sexing but they are extremely aggressive when breeding
My lfs had a unexpected pair in one of their tanks and it killed all other cichlids that were in the tank in one night( around 6 other fish)

well im your man. i breed and sell them. the males will be bright red depending on wich one u have. mine are tourquoise jewel cichlids. put a cave or log for them to hide in and they will lay eggs on a 1/2 clay pot or light colored flat river rocks. they like a rock tilted up a little. about a 4 or 5 inch round flat rock will do. when the male picks a mate they will go off by them selfs and do there thing. after they lay eggs the first time you will get eggs weekly. i pull my eggs out and hatch them myself in a 10 gall. tank with meth blue in it to prevent the eggs from molding.i have a small water pump and a sponge filter in there also. the pump circulates the water over the eggs like the parents do when they fan the eggs with there fins. i cover my pump with an old filter bag. any more questions i can awncer

I'm no expert but I believe the anal fins are pointy on males rounder on females

Here is a pic of my beautiful jewel

my guess is female but you have to buy at least 3 so wich ever is the male will get brite red color

Last edited by a moderator:
The males will generally be a deeper darker red and have the pointed fins. I'm posting a couple of pics of mine so you can see the differences. This is them laying/fertilizing eggs and then guarding the fry.

Attachments

• image-3657037811.jpg
    image-3657037811.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image-3399525580.jpg
    image-3399525580.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 127
i have 3 jewel cichlids, 2 females 1 male, they have breed 4-5 times in last few months, i have a bunch of fry growing now. arround 200.

i dont know what jewels i have but i have noticed a difference between the male and females. the females have red and black lines arround the edge of all there fins on both of them, the male is all the same colour (all over body) obviously patterned but constant all over body.

my females are also bigger then my male, male is very COLOURFUL but the female he breeds with is also pretty colourful.

i will add some pictures later.

ok i managed to find some pictures and a video.

picture 1 : male

picture 2: female

picture 3: Fry

Video : Fry 1 week old

also if anyone could tell me what type of jewel these are that would be great, many thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0089.jpg
    DSC_0089.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC_0116.jpg
    DSC_0116.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom