Jewel Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichildlife

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently got a jewel cichlid, he/she is about 2-3 inches in length and i was wondering how to tell and if anyone could tell me what gender he/she is. :confused: From what i have read online I am suspecting it to be a male, but not 100 or even 90% sure, and i wanted some advise on how many i can have in my tank, it is a 10 gallon, i have a few flat rocks and no other fish, well guppies, but i plan to get rid of them ASAP, but other then that i have nothing and i would really like some help with these guys/girls i plan to breed them so i would really like to know his/her gender before i get another.
although i don't know how to upload photos i will try and get one up as soon as possible.
imgres

this is not exactly what he/she looks like but its the closest i could find, since i couldn't get mine uploaded(didn't know how) but its almost exact.

Last edited:
As a new member, posts with links & photos need to be moderated. When you upload a photo, nothing will appear to happen, it is sitting in moderation queue, waiting for a mod to see it.

Having said that, I approved this post, but no photo showed up. Maybe this is due to the photo being in edit. Maybe try again with the photo in a new post.

k thanks, i uploaded a few onto my gallery just view them there. thanks

Hemichromis bimaculatus has no business spending any large amounts of time in a 10g much less with any tankmates. You really should research your fish selections better prior to bring them home, these are large aggressive fish that reach sizes of 6". The minimum for pair is 29g with no tankmates, if they are guarding fry other tankmates will be inured or killed. My best advice is to return the fish and get something suited to a 10g tank like guppies.

As far as your original question they are extremely hard to sex without venting.

http://www.fishhead.com/articles/ventsex.htm

Last edited:
You should not be made to feel bad. Yes the tank maybe to small for your fish. But that is why you came to this site. To learn not to be talked down to. These people do know what they are talking about, but not all are so condescending. So don't be turned off and keep at it. Good luck

You should not be made to feel bad. Yes the tank maybe to small for your fish. But that is why you came to this site. To learn not to be talked down to. These people do know what they are talking about, but not all are so condescending. So don't be turned off and keep at it. Good luck

Time to grow up and enter the real world, someone telling you the truth about mistakes your making is blunt but certainly not condescending.

Thankyou, i will try to buy a bigger tank, or take them back . Just a note: the sign that gave info on the fish said 10g+

Thankyou, i will try to buy a bigger tank, or take them back . Just a note: the sign that gave info on the fish said 10g+

I'm afraid most fish stores don't have the best interest of the fish in mind when selling them to someone, they're a business so the smaller the posted tank size the more they will sell since smaller tanks are generally more common.

We've all been there, heck when I started before the Internet I made every mistake there was to make, but as in life learn from them and move forward.

At 3-4 inches you could have one fish in your ten gallon for a month or so and then it's time to upgrade to larger quarters. Something like a long 55 gallon would be perfect. I've never been able to tell the sex of them. Good luck to you.

Will he/she be able to survive a while in the 10 gallon alone? I dont have the money for a bigger tank

He will be fine for awhile but at some point either return him or better yet upgrade tanks, long term just isn't a good idea. Craiglist the best place to find great deals on tanks, especially in today's economy.

HUKIT said:
He will be fine for awhile but at some point either return him or better yet upgrade tanks, long term just isn't a good idea. Craiglist the best place to find great deals on tanks, especially in today's economy.

Much better way to give advice.

I personally don't like jewels. I was holding onto one in my 20 gallon for someone on houstonfishbox and IT TERRORIZED EVERYTHING. They're the meanest fish I've ever seen.

Really, im sayin your lyin but i never hurd of a jewel doin that. But i guess its possible

Back
Top Bottom