Jewel Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Everlasting

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i've got a question. I'll give my tank stats first and then launch into the question.

Tank: 29 gallon rectangular tank with a marineland/penguin 200B filter, which filters up to 50 gallon. Black gravel substrate, driftwood and fake plastic plants. Also has an ornament aeration bubbler.

pH: 7.2 or 7.6 (my water is always extremely alkaline)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0 - 5 (looks closer to 0)
Temp: 72

Ok, so this tank used to house community fish for roughly 4 years and over the last 6 months I decided I would like to try something different. I stopped restocking my tank and then dispersed the remaining fish into several other tanks I have in the house.

I did a complete clean out of the tank because I was also tired of the Tahitian Moon Sand that I was using for substrate and decided to switch back to gravel. So I bought new fake plants, and new gravel. Put back in the two pieces of driftwood and added a bubbler ornament just because I have never used one. I also managed to break my pump in the middle of cleaning it, so I purchased the same pump again and put the old dirty bio-wheel into it to culture the tank.

I monitored the cycled, and once it had went through it's cycle I put the old bristlenose pleco back into the tank and a week later went and purchased a jewel cichlid. She seems healthy and swims around the tank. She is not gasping or acting distressed in any other manner that I can see, but he's not eating. I've tried regular flakes, cichlid floating pellets and bloodworms. None of which seem to be of any interest.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong? Or is something in the tank not to her liking? Or is she just settling in ? When I've had community fish they will generally eat several hours after being introduced to the tank and its been two days and he still hasn't eaten anything. Or is the bubbler making it harder for her to see the food? It really moves the top of the water.

Also, I realize the tank is not very large but are there any other fish that could go in there with her? And if I upgrade my tank size in the future, what other type of cichlids are a good mix for jewels?

Thanks so much in advance!

Are there any other cichlids that they are able to live with? My fish stores do not have huge selections and the ones I've looked up thus far do not appear to be good matches.

I have with mine as follows:yellow lab(7),arustus,bumble bee(2),cobalt(1),ele blue(1),kenyi(1),peacocks(3),tiger loach(1)&dinosaur eel..

with my ONE jewel, i have 5 auratus, 3 kenyi, 3 reb zebra, 1 orange blotch zebra, 2 albino red top zebra an interruptus and one ahli. also a pleco. he should be fine. i read that you would have problems if you attempted to have a breeding pair of jewels but ONE should be ok.

Idk if you could have much more in a 29. If you were to upgrade to a 55 there would be more options.

Back
Top Bottom