Jewel Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tnmichx6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know how to tell Jewel Cichlids apart from male-female. I have 2 that have different spots. 1. has 2 spots one by the gills and the other midway body on sides. and my the 2 has just the spot in near the gill.

if one is brighter colored than the other its probably the male. my red and blue jewels the male is brighter red. if u have a pair be ready for tons of babys

bob mccoy said:
if one is brighter colored than the other its probably the male. my red and blue jewels the male is brighter red. if u have a pair be ready for tons of babys

I'm not 100% sure but my larger jewel has more blue spots by the gills which was one of the ways I looked up on telling them apart. She is a pretty red. My other which has a lot less spots seems to be light in the red. I am hoping it's a male. I would love more. There beautiful.

bob mccoy said:

Tons and tons of babies! My jewels spawn every two weeks or so. My male is bigger, his red is deeper, she stays pretty dull when its not breeding time. The male may have a 'sharper' looking anal fin. They are amazing parents! If she accepts him as a mate you can stimulate breeding by doing a cool water change within a few degrees. You'll definitely see which one is which then!

Back
Top Bottom