jewel tankmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danger diabolik

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I inherited a 50 gallon corner tank with a red jewel, jack dempsey and a third that I think is a black cichlid? I cant remember the exact name of the 3rd one. They are a few years old. The original owner told me that the jewel was very aggressive and had killed everything else he had put in the tank. His original plan was to have 5 or 6 fish in there but that apparently never quite worked out.

So I was hoping that someone might have some suggestions/advice on what I could add to the tank that might be able to stand up against this tiny menace.

You'd need to look into something larger, that could withstand the punishment of an aggressive jewel. Of course, you have to hope the new fish doesn't cause additional trouble...

I'd look into one of the medium-sized SA or CA cichlids.

How big is the Jack? Can you find out what the 3rd fish is? Depending on this info, you may or may not be able to add other fish, due to space/territorial limitations.

The footprint of a 50 corner isn't really very large, so I am surprised you aren't having issues with the cichlids you already have. I personally wouldn't add any more cichlids, but maybe a school of tiger barbs or giant danios would survive. Those species are tough and fast.

They dont really bother eachother it seems. The red will occasionally chase the 3rd one around when it comes close to the cave shes sitting in but leaves the jack alone.

The jack is a good 7".
The jewel is about 3-4"
The 3rd fish I havent found any name for yet but it is silver with a black spot on its tail and -VERY- faint black stripe on his midsection. Roudish and full shape. About 4-5"

Back
Top Bottom