johanni id (sp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwestendorf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been reading a lot lately that a lot of these fish are being sold but are actually something else. I was hoping some of the more experienced people on here could help me I'd my fish.

ThHCJjQ

thanks in advance

Looks like a Johanni to me. The maingano only has the long vertical stripes on it's body.

if it helps its not clear in the picture but on his back bottom fin there is a single yellowish spot just like on my red zebra

Looks like a Johanni to me. The maingano only has the long vertical stripes on it's body.

Male Johanni's (M. johanni) and both genders of Maingano's (M. cyaneorhabdos)/aka Electric Blue Johanni have the same stripe pattern: horizontal (ideally).

However, quality-issues, imperfections and natural variations may result in broken stripes among both species (broken stripes give the impression of vertical stripes or simultaneous vertical & horizontal stripes).

westendorf, how large is the fish in the photo and how large was it when you got it?

M. johanni start off as yellow fish and the males tranform into striped blue/black fish (the females remain yellowish); conversely, both genders of maingano begin as blue-ish fish. If you acquired this fish when it was very small and was the same color it is now it is a maingano.

Male johanni's and male maingano's are near-identical to each other. Female maingano's generally (but not always) have less intense colors. Due to its apparent small size and less intense coloration I'm inclined to think your fish is a a female maingano.

If this fish is vented and confirmed to be female that will also rule it out as being a johanni.

Kay-bee, thanks!

I had heard before about the differences between the young maingano and the young johanni. I had just forgotten. I've got 2 mainganos...pics of my oldest maingano are in my album titled Skittles tank if you wanna take a looksie. I might even post a pic of Bonnie (she's only about an inch and a half long) :-D

thanks everyone

I've only had him/her for about a month and he is still about the same size maybe an inch and a half to two inches and has always looked like this.

its not overly important that I determine what it is, I think its beautiful and a nice addition to my tank either way.

My maingano juvie... It's less than 1/2 inch I guess... It's so cute.... :)

Attachments

• image-855535547.jpg
    image-855535547.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom