Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just got my new keyhole cichlids! Now with pics!

Well....i told u i'd keep you guys posted on my new keyhole chichlids...
I just got them 2 hours ago from my lfs. Moving them went well, but their colors were not okey from the stress. Now it's all back to normal. One of the 5 keyholes lay in the corner of the aquarium for 5 minutes, until i gave him a push, and he started swimming along with his crew
They're still quite young, the guy from the lfs told me they needed 6 more months to be able to start breeding (that's why i bought 5 youngsters, i can return 3 of them once i get a pair).

I just bought flake food for tropical fish with added vitamines, and some frozen bloodworms. How much should i feed them? How many times a day? They are already constantly picking at everything they can get into their mouths. Does that mean they are hungry? or do they just peck at things all the time?

Their companions in the tank are 2 or 3 ghost shrimp (i only saw 2 the last few days).
My keyholes swim sort of strange.....or maybe not, they don't swim constantly, they're a bit like little nemo's (u know, clownfishies). They swim small piece, stop, swim some more, stop.....
[/img]

Old 06-01-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

They certainly sound like cichlids! I would feed them once a day, a pinch of food and see if they eat it in 3 minutes. The next day, give a little more. Keep doing this until you know how much food the fish can eat in three minutes. Your keyholes will also enjoy nuked, peeled peas. In addition, try clipping a piece of zucchini or cucumber (peel and take out the seeds) to the side of the tank. Give them a day to try it and pull it out after 36 hours.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yay! I am thinking about getting some for one of my smaller tanks that is empty right now, so let us know how they do.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to glasstapper
i bought two by mistake,, one jumped to his death. After a beautiful cerimony i began searching for others, congrats on yours but if they are young ones maybe feed less quantity, and more often, most of the text i've read says young fish eat quite a bit, ps both of mine were verry lax in the entertainment department, also from what i could find, keyholes aren't real active, great community fish and beautiful
Old 06-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, they're still doing great!
I asked at my lfs how much to feed, and the lady showed me how much...So, i feed them that much, but only one of them sees the food, and eats all of it! does that mean i can feed much more, or is that one guy going to get really fat?
Apart from the feeding, they are nice fish to watch, not super entertaining or anything, but they really do have personality. Also, i noticed colour changes. When they go near my piece of driftwood, which is almost black, they too get much darker. And the one that saw the food immediatly got a horizontal dark stripe from eye to his 'keyhole' spot.
So now i'll just keep observing them untill they team up, then i'll get rid of 3 and get me some tetras or other interesting fishies 8O
Old 06-02-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
picture! picture!

Sounds good so far. A few members here keep keyholes, but are somewhat scarce lately.
I think they are cute...

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:57 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I would not feed any more than you are doing now. The others need to get competitive for the food, which may take a week, while you have one that adapted to the new surroundings quickly.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
from the ones ive looked up online they look like a mux of panda corys and rams. but thats me. how are u gonna return them after 6 months? because here i only can return them b4 the warentee is over which is 7, 14, and 15 days
Old 06-02-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

When I did this same procedure with baby angels I asked them ahead of time if they would take back the adults after I got a pair, and they said they would. They wound up giving me $12 for a male later on!
Old 06-02-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
ic i guess its a better idea to ask em 8P. but i only have one small chain around here and their prolly the only ones thatll do it. the rest are petland (i dont like because od their 24 hr gaurentee. petsmart (the people didnt care that i bought a popeye'd panda cory, and petco which is my main supplier besudes my lfs (PetCenter)
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

The guy from the lfs told me he was going to buy the remaining 3 keyholes back once i got a pair. I think i'll use the credit to get me some schooling fishies. my lfs is run by a couple who are in their 50's. They really love their fish and are very honest with their customers. Sounds like i have good luck with my lfs where some people don't

They're still doing fine, nothing new to report

Tankgirl, i could definetly advice them to you for your small tank. Mine are very happy and they seem to have enough space. My tank is heavily planted for the moment, i'll remove some of the bigger plants in the foreground this weekend. I hope that they don't mind too much, because i heard keyholes like lots of plants.

8)
Old 06-02-2004, 03:00 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks a lot for the updates - it is so helpful to hear about real experiences prior to trying it for myself. I have some crummy LFS around me, too (chain stores) but I have one shop that is fish-only and they are very much into fish and helping the hobbyist have a rewarding experience, so I guess I am lucky, as well.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:41 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

i'd like some more keyholes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i mean should you be gettin rid of em anyway,,,, not enough can be said about a knowledgable lfs i've gotten plenty of bum wraps in northern atlanta, of the 8 nearby i use 1
Old 06-03-2004, 02:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well glasstapper, i bet you'd really love them, as well as you would tankgirl....
It may just be that i'm overjoyous about my fish, because there the first ones i've had since i was 10 years old (now 18) and they were guppies...
Nothing bad about guppies, but i don't think they have as much personality as cichlids. Can anyone advice me a fish that has more personality then cichlids?

Glasstapper, i would give them to you, but only one problem....i live in Belgium->Europe, and you in Atlanta, the fishies would die on the trip, or at least they'd have to suffer too much for my liking

Well, they still seem very happy in their tank, although my shrimp are quite to very stressed. My keyholes tend to go near them and try to nibble on them. They jump up ferociously each time a cichlid bites em............ Plus i notices my ghost shrimp seemed to be having colour?? Strange....they had very dark lines on their back (wich are not intestins), plus their underside is a green blue colour. Are hey dying?

Old 06-07-2004, 02:42 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

*sniffle* I agree, keep them well,,

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, pics

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com