Just out of curiosity.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdaddy2

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm thinking of a new investment...Now that I am addicted to fish tanks. I have been searching livingstoni cichlids, as well as seen them at the fish store and I really like them. Research says 125 gal requirement. Was wondering if this is just for one, or could I put say 1 male 3 female in there. Also what are some suitable tank mates, usually see them with yellow labs. Thanks.

I think 125 gallon would be plenty for a male and some females. I also own a livingstonii and I know they prefer more of an open tank with lots of room to swim around. So some good tank mates would be other haps or peacocks which also prefer more open space as opposed to the Mbuna which prefer more rocks and caves in their tank. Just keep in mind that they can reach a size of about 10 inches when full grown, but that would take quite some time.

So would you say, any Hap or peacock? Or just species that get relatively the same size? How fast would you say it takes to reach the max size? Thanks

Yes I have livinstoni and venustus with peacocks pretty sure they are both nimbochromis which r large haps I think

The growth rate depends on several different factors, but in general I'd say it would take at least 2 to 3 years for it to get to that size. I think any hap or peacock would be alright as long as they start off around the same size.

Well that's good to know, so I wouldn't necessarily need the large tank right away. Thanks

Between livingstoni and venustus? And is it on to mix the bothe?

Honestly you really can't most I got as subadults showing some color but my venustus and livinstoni I can't tell yet I bought those on a risk Bc I got a good deal on them

Oh between them 2 is easy livinstoni is brown and has a slightly different blotch pattern venustus is green and black even as juvies

Nope it's easy to confuse livinstoni and nimbochromis fuscotaentias as juveis

I also have livingstonii and venustus. My juvie venustus has a yellow belly and under jaw and the blotches aren't as dark brown.

Back
Top Bottom