Just some questions...looking for feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just wanted to post some of my ideas here and get some feedback/suggestions on them...i hope you all can assist in that matter...

i currently have 2 tanks, you can see the set ups in my sig...

here is what i am wanting to do...

1. I want to get a larger tank to move my cichlids into, thinking 75, but would love something like a 150 tall tank, anything that is no wider than 48" cause where i want to put it wont handle anything wider than 48"

2. If/when i do move the cichlids over to a larger tank, i want to take the 55 gal and move it into my office...I want this tank to be my first natural plant tank...

3. I want Crayfish...I absolutely love the Blue Lobster and my girlfriend really wants me to get mini crabs, she saw them at PetSmart and thinks they are adorable...

4. I want an Angelfish tank...i was thinking of putting them into the 55 when i move it...was thinking about half a dozen Angels and a nice size school of peaceful, nice looking fish, maybe some tetras???

Now...I know that crayfish are not necessarily good to keep with regular fish, but can someone just back that info up for me so i can get some closure on it...the 55 will contain one of the following...Angels....Crayfish...or Angels & Crayfish(someone just smack me cause i know it shouldnt be done)

since i will probably be sticking to either angels or crays in the 55, i am gonna want another tank soon after...DAMN MTS!!! can crabs be kept with lobsters?

sorry for the incredibly long post...i am just hoping for some insight from the great people on this board...

thanks...
Mario

PS...check out my site in my sig....designed it myself...
if you get a chance, take a look at my Portfolio Page and let me know what you think...

also...if anyone would like some design work...contact me...[/list][/list]

I'm not 100% sure so this might just add to the frustration but I was told by many that the blue crays will kill anything that gets close enough. I think webmoose just had one blue crayfish kill another.

The crayfish will eat anything it can catch including fish & other crayfish. As far as I know crabs have a similar disposition. Usually its the males that kill each other though so a good rule is 1 male per tank. I think you could probably keep a really nasty bully of a fish with a crayfish but it would have to be really tough.

Another option you have is to glue the crayfish's claws shut with super glue (I have never personally done this but it should work). Yes they do use them to eat with but they also use their swimmerets & smaller walking legs so they can get along fine without them as long as the food is of appropriate size. Every time the animal molts though you will have to reglue. You could also use rubberbands like they do with lobsters in the grocery store. I still wouldn't keep multiple males in a tank though because this would cause extreme stress. But I bet fish would be fine if the claws where out of commision as long as they where swimmers & not sitters. The only reason I suggest this bizarre solution is because often when crayfish fight they loose one or both of their claws in the wild & they eventually just grow them back & do fine eating & getting around without them.

Also crayfish are amazing escape artists so make sure you close off all exits from the tank. They will appreciate places to hide as they often live in burrows in the wild (PVC burried in the substrate works fine).

1) crayfish and lobsters WILL kill one another.

2) do NOT glue their claws shut, this is the main way that they get their food. If you want a crab or crayfish get them a small tank for themselves (10 gallons per crab or crayfish)

3) in a 55 gallon, i would personally only put 4 or 5 angels into the tank (they require at LEAST 10 gallons per fish. currently, my angels requre about 20 gallons per)

4) If you want to put tetras or rasboras into the tank, be forewarned. When the angels get bigger, they will almost be snacks for them. be selective of the type of fish you put in with the angels as well. Rainbow fish seem to be the most popular, they are bigger, colorful and they don't generally nip the fins of the angels off.

5) don't put angels in with the crayfish. Crayfish CAN swim upwards when they direct their tail properly so that means they can get to top and mid level fish.

HTH

also keep in mind that the water alone for a 150g tank will weigh 1250 pounds. The tank will probably come in close to 200lbs. Make sure your floor can support it.

One more note: mini-crabs, whether fiddlers (Uca sp.) or red-claws (typically Sesarma sp.) require both brackish salinity and a haul-out platform or stretch of "land" (alternatively, one may provide a commercially-available "Underwater Island").

malkore said:
also keep in mind that the water alone for a 150g tank will weigh 1250 pounds. The tank will probably come in close to 200lbs. Make sure your floor can support it.

i have thought about this for quite some time and have done much research on this matter...

the way i look at things, a 150 gal tall aquarium has a footprint of 48" x 24", all that weight placed on a stand with a complete bottom frame works out like this...4' x 2' means 8 square feet, 1500 lbs / 8 sq ft = 187.5lbs per sq ft, that is the average weight of an adult whose footprint is no larger than 1 sq ft...so if your floor can hold you, or your 350 lbs cousin from out of state, then it can hold a 150 gal setup with no problems...

thank you all for your coments, looks like i am gonna do Angels/Rainbows in the 55 gal, and have another tank for a lobster...maybe a 20 long that my girlfriend has sitting in her garage...

Back
Top Bottom