Just want to see what you African Cichlids lovers think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luma21

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank has been running for years but decided to switch to African Cichlids. I've had about 15 assorted Africans for about a week now in my 60 gallon and they seem as healthy as can be, along with a 3-4 inch pleco. I know I have a few peacocks and the rest must be mbuna? I'm not too sure about African names yet... But let me know what you guys think! Tips, hints, questions, concerns and compliments are much appreciated! The more I can learn the better!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467488551.379698.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mbuna are a holes and should really be in a species only tank. They beat up everything else. My advice would be to try whatever u want but be vigilant and be prepared to take any fish u add back to the fish store and try a different one. Don't get too attached to any fish until they last a few weeks. Any one getting bullied needs to be removed and replaced usually. U can try to move around the decoration to reset territories if u see aggression repeatedly between two fish but if that doesn't fix it one of them needs to go or one will die.

Mbuna are a holes and should really be in a species only tank. They beat up everything else. My advice would be to try whatever u want but be vigilant and be prepared to take any fish u add back to the fish store and try a different one. Don't get too attached to any fish until they last a few weeks. Any one getting bullied needs to be removed and replaced usually. U can try to move around the decoration to reset territories if u see aggression repeatedly between two fish but if that doesn't fix it one of them needs to go or one will die.

Agreed with all of the above, but I would take it one step further, and advise returning all the fish now, and then doing some research on mbunas and peacocks overall, and specific types, since they can vary a lot in temperament, needs, and even diet.

I would pick the one type that you really must have, and then build the rest of the stocking around what will work with that fish.

Nice job on the layout. Looking good :)

I started off with a mixed peacock and mbuna tank much like your setup. Over time the stock has been changed to haps and peacocks. Personal preference for larger fish over mbuna.

I would say stick with the current stock and see how it develops. If needed you can swap out some of the fish as you go along.

Proper food designed for african cichlids and plenty of large volume water changes is key. An all male tank can work nicely, less aggression when there are no females to fight over.

Good luck and hope it all goes well.

African cichlids can be aggressive and territorial but what works for me might not work for you or the other way around.
For years I have kept mbunas with peacocks and haps, it has taken a little work, yes I've had to remove an occasional trouble maker here and there and you'll have to be ready to.
Eventually after some trial and error I have found a balance where for the most part, they get along, some pecking here and there but after a couple of years no problems yet.
The most peaceful mbuna in my tank are the blue acei.

Back
Top Bottom