Just wondering... *Convicts*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChaosTropicals

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read that people can keep convicts in smaller tanks because they release a chemical to stop growing. I also saw a guy doing this in a 10 gallon tank. What are your views on this? (NOT TRYING THIS JUST WONDERING)

Well there is the growth inhibiting hormone, but I'm not well versed enough on the topic to discuss it. Just figured I'd throw this out there. But yeah, the fish will be stunted rather than just smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well there is the growth inhibiting hormone, but I'm not well versed enough on the topic to discuss it

Regardless if there is or isn't, that still intentional stunting which is about the worst thing you can do to a fish.

Amatitlania nigrofasciata females will start to breed around 1.5" which will keep them smaller to begin with. I've tested this personally side by side, a female who is spawning and raising fry will be half the size of female who isn't.

Junior is correct with regards to the growth inhibiting hormones.

Ya i commented on it and said that is horrible to do but the fish seem very healthy and happy. I personally dont like putting any cichlid in a tank under 55 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom