Juvenile Rotkeil Severum Sexing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I hope you and your tanks are doing well! I just recently bought a pair of Rotkeil Severum as juveniles to grow up as the centerpiece fish for my 75g. Right now one is about an inch and the other is about an inch and a half. From what I've read the males are larger and color up more quickly, plus something about their dorsal and anal fins being longer. Right now based on what I've read I am thinking the smaller one might be a younger male actually because he is showing the beginnings of the black vertical stripes that they get, and also has some dark coloration on the lower fins, which the larger, less colored up one does not have. I will try taking some pictures but I can only do my best with my iphone. Anyone with experience with juvenile Severum, especially Rotkeil Severum would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

They are far too small to be sexed. Usually the females have no vermiculations on the face. Also, the stripes come and go. Mine rarely ever show stripes.

Ok, I will try to be patient. I am just excited!!! They are taking their food and swimming around the tank and don't seem to be scared of my fiance, my dogs or I anymore which is awesome. Even little they have personality and will stare right back at me, it's cool!

If you really want a pair, I suggest buying 4-6 more and grow them out, allowing a pair to naturally form. I am doing just this with uaru amphiacanthoides

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom